Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shore500
Reel Rookie

Because you watched can't be changed

The feature of "because you watched" can not be reset or turned off. I don't want people and guests seeing what I watched. However, this feature can't be reset. Roku will will then suggest other types of movies it thinks are related. People think I'm a freak or ideologically bereft. I'm going to erase my account and go to a firestick where they do not have such an inane feature. Roku refuses to fix this problem.

31 REPLIES 31
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Because you watched can't be changed

Hi @shore500 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about your concern? What channel you're experiencing the issue with? A photo of it would be helpful as well. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Heafust

@RokuKariza-D It's everyone's number one concern, and regarding the official "the Roku channel" app!. There is no way to remove suggestions based on "Because you watched". ...Please do a search for that phrase in this forum, and you will see how many people are upset about it. Deleting and reinstalling the app does NOT reset the suggestions either. .., →→Basically we need a way to clear all watching history within the official "the Roku channel app"....    As others have mentioned, it happens that sometimes what was watched was by accident, sensitive, mature, or controversial, and embarrassing that it was watched. Whatever the reason, there NEEDS to be a way to delete the history.. PLEASE ESCALATE THIS PROBLEM to the highest management you can. Again, if you look at your own forum at how many people are frustrated with this, the topic is obviously a high concern by a large number of your users.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Greetings @Heafust 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your experience with The Roku Channel.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are seeing? Can you provide a screenshot of within The Roku Channel so we can better understand what the issue is? When you select content within this section, can you press the * button and have the ability to remove that content?

Please keep us posted with the above information and we will be able to investigate further. We look forward to hearing your response.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
wallbagger

I don't know away either. The watched history is different and does have a clear option. It's Roku's menu that is holding their suggestions to the movie in need of removing. No way to unlink,clear or delete.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @wallbagger,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting and we would be happy to look on what we can do to help you to make sure we are providing the best streaming experience.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding How to save movies and TV shows using Save List | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Agreed, the "because you watched" feature needs to be removed, or at least have a way to clear the "suggestions". Its very annoying to most users and may cause uncomfortable situations with people who don't want others to see what they may have watched at one time or another.

dbq

Mary,

This issue has nothing to do with the Save List.  It's almost like you're not reading all of the complaints about this issue.  It has to do with the suggestions row that will come on the home screen of the Roku Channel. My teenaged son watched an explicit movie and now we have a suggestion row on our home screen "Because You Watched Live Nude Girls" and it shows us several more explicit movies.  We get this right on the top of the Roku Channel home screen, so it assaults us every time we go to the Roku Channel.  So we don't go to the Roku Channel anymore.  Not sure that's what you want.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dbq,

Saw your post!

We appreciate your feedback and we’re sorry you're having trouble with the "Because you watched' section.

Please be advised that the option to remove recommendations to the Because you watched section within The Roku Channel is currently unavailable.

We will forward your valuable feedback to the concerned team. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

dbq

Mary,

Thanks for responding.  As you can see from the several posts on this topic, this is a major issue for many of us. I have parental controls set, but my teenager discovered my PIN. (Teenagers work hard to get around the rules.) I have since changed my PIN, but us parents can use all the help we can get. Can you please tell the team responsible for the change to make this a top priority?  Can it be made an option to keep or delete? The suggestions can be worthwhile, but they also can be problematic. Let the user decide. Please fix this.  Thanks