Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: BBC iPlayer stopped working with Sorry, this application is not currently available on your dev

Jump to solution

@io1901 wrote:

Because they put it on the box and advertises that it plays BBC iPlayer. That makes it their problem. They should be the ones chasing the BBC not the users. Basic UK consumer law.

So, BBC, established by Royal Charter, and a corporation of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (meaning it's part of the government), makes an error, and then that same government will hold Roku accountable for that error the government did? Okay then.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Princesssoraya
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku express 4k model 3940EU

Jump to solution

I brought this product on the understanding this could play bbc I player not quite 2 months ago and it actually can’t play something I brought it for so I have wasted my money on this device why as this roku stick basically become obsolete with i player so quick ?????? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Princesssoraya 

To echo what @atc98092 said, other posts are reporting that a recent update to BBC iPlayer has broken functionality on the 3940 and other devices.

Sounds very much like an error occurred in the latest push by BBC.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you bought the Roku only for use with iPlayer, I can understand your frustration. Perhaps there's something else that is available on the Roku that can provide some use for you until BBC can fix their channel. Since I'm in the US, I can't really make any suggestions about what might be available, as the channel store differs greatly in different regions. I think YouTube works worldwide, and there's actually an amazing amount of interesting content there, along with some real junk of course. 🙂 But there's likely a large number of free channels available to you that might at least provide some value until BBC fixes the iPlayer channel. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
io1901
Binge Watcher

Re: BBC iPlayer stopped working with Sorry, this application is not currently available on your dev

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@io1901 wrote:

Because they put it on the box and advertises that it plays BBC iPlayer. That makes it their problem. They should be the ones chasing the BBC not the users. Basic UK consumer law.

So, BBC, established by Royal Charter, and a corporation of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (meaning it's part of the government), makes an error, and then that same government will hold Roku accountable for that error the government did? Okay then.

Read what I said, Roku (not the users) should be raising the problem with the BBC as they are now aware of the problem (and I would have thought a bit more clout!). They are still selling goods that don't do what they are advertising. 

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@io1901 wrote:

Read what I said, Roku (not the users) should be raising the problem with the BBC as they are now aware of the problem (and I would have thought a bit more clout!). They are still selling goods that don't do what they are advertising. 

I read what you said. And you just criticized Roku for continuing to sell and not recalling a bunch of boxes that show BBC iPlayer on it because of an error that BBC just recently made that BBC may also have fixed by end of day. Okay then.

DBDukes

0 Kudos

Apps are not loading on roku device

Jump to solution

Hello, some apps on my roku are saying ‘sorry, this application is not currently available on your device’ but I’ve used it before. It’s bbc iplayer, so just wondering how I fix this? 

many thanks. 

0 Kudos
io1901
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@io1901 wrote:

I read what you said. And you just criticized Roku for continuing to sell and not recalling a bunch of boxes that show BBC iPlayer on it because of an error that BBC just recently made that BBC may also have fixed by end of day. Okay then.

That's not what I said. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

In the US, Roku packaging says: “channels can change”.  I assume they’re smart enough to do this everywhere though I don’t run around the world collecting Roku boxes. There are thousands of Roku channel apps so obviously they do occasionally come and go and while Roku may be able to send them an email, there isn’t much control they really have.  (ie: some channel leaves Roku.  So what does Roku do? Send them an email that says that if you don’t come back to Roku, then we will kick you off Roku?)

DBDukes

Re: Apps are not loading on roku device

Jump to solution

@ConnorJames1 

Several posts here mention this. Apparently, based on what other users are reporting, BBC updated their iPlayer app recently, and seems to have made an error in the code.

Each app developer determines where (location) the app is valid, and on which devices the app is valid. In this case, BBC did that. From the looks of things, they did it badly this go round, and broke the app from working on many devices on which the app previously worked.

BBC will have to issue an update containing the fix for the app to resume working.

DBDukes