Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doodoojohnson
Reel Rookie

Apps not loading on Roku Premeire

Jump to solution

For about 5 or 6 days, most apps won't load on my Roku Premiere. They open for about 1 second then immediately flash back to the Home screen. I've tried everything in every forum post I've read. I tried chatting with multiple live agents and they really don't know what to do except what their script says. Now I'm looking for an actual fix because none of those things work.

Netflix, Apple TV+, and Freevee all work.

But most apps DON'T work - Hulu, ESPN, Disney+, Sling TV, Crackle, Roku channel, PlutoTV, ABC, NBC, CBS, Paramount+, Peacock, YouTube, etc.

My internet works fine.
Yes, I've restarted the modem.
Yes, I've tried removing and reinstalling the apps.
Yes, I've tried restarting the Roku.
Yes, I've reset the connection.

The only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset - that's my last resort.

Is there anyone who has a real solution or an actual fix for this? Thanks!

Roku Premiere 3920X
Software version - 13.1.4 Build 1512-91

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps not loading on Roku Premeire

Jump to solution

The 3920 is still receiving updates.  If a "System restart" found under Settings->System doesn't fix it, a factory reset is about all that's left.  You can try connecting to your phone's hotspot briefly if possible to see if that resolves it.  If it does, then we'd have to start exploring your network setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

The 3920 is still supported (I have one). But it has some serious limitations compared to literally all current models. The biggest issue is the 3920 is single band WiFi, meaning there are speed limits to it's connection. Mine is within four feet of an access point on my network, and the best it ever reports is 22 Mbps, usually only reporting in single digits. My Ultra downstairs is within three feet of an access point, but because it support the 5 GHz band it reports over 200 Mbps (usually about 220). That is about the hardware limit of the Roku hardware, so don't expect better speed than that. 

The 3920 was released in Sep 2018, so now almost 6 years old. The Roku hardware has significantly improved over that timeframe, and frankly the 3920 is outclassed and can't keep up with some of today's apps/channels. I intend to remove my 3920 soon, and will probably move my Express 4K+ in its place. 

But all that said, I can still use Disney+, Roku Channel, Pluto, YouTube, and other channels without a problem. I don't use the others listed, but it would make me suspect there's a hardware issue with your device. A factory reset is a pain to do (since you have to set everything back up again, at least the channels will reinstall themselves) but if there's a glitch in the OS that would clear it out.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
doodoojohnson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is it possible that this model (Roku Premiere 3920X) is no longer being supported?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

The 3920 is still receiving updates.  If a "System restart" found under Settings->System doesn't fix it, a factory reset is about all that's left.  You can try connecting to your phone's hotspot briefly if possible to see if that resolves it.  If it does, then we'd have to start exploring your network setup.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @doodoojohnson!

Thanks for reporting this to us. Rest assured that we will help you determine the cause and find the best resolution possible. 

We'd like to assess your concern better and it would be great if you could provide us with additional information such as follows:

• Did your device recently receive any software update prior to this happening that might have triggered this issue?
  • Have you tried using an alternative network connection to see if you can access the apps you are having this issue with? Perhaps a mobile hotspot would work.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
atc98092

Jump to solution

The 3920 is still supported (I have one). But it has some serious limitations compared to literally all current models. The biggest issue is the 3920 is single band WiFi, meaning there are speed limits to it's connection. Mine is within four feet of an access point on my network, and the best it ever reports is 22 Mbps, usually only reporting in single digits. My Ultra downstairs is within three feet of an access point, but because it support the 5 GHz band it reports over 200 Mbps (usually about 220). That is about the hardware limit of the Roku hardware, so don't expect better speed than that. 

The 3920 was released in Sep 2018, so now almost 6 years old. The Roku hardware has significantly improved over that timeframe, and frankly the 3920 is outclassed and can't keep up with some of today's apps/channels. I intend to remove my 3920 soon, and will probably move my Express 4K+ in its place. 

But all that said, I can still use Disney+, Roku Channel, Pluto, YouTube, and other channels without a problem. I don't use the others listed, but it would make me suspect there's a hardware issue with your device. A factory reset is a pain to do (since you have to set everything back up again, at least the channels will reinstall themselves) but if there's a glitch in the OS that would clear it out.

Dan

doodoojohnson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The factory reset did it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
TrishF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Premiere+ 4630x (purchased in 2016) and an Ultra 4800x (purchased in 2021).  After the 13.1.4 update, my Premiere+ slowed, especially when leaving an app to get to the home screen.

The Premiere+ download speed averages 105 whereas the Ultra is in the 200+ range.  I checked most of the apps you’re having trouble with and experienced no issues with my model.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Apps not loading on Roku Premiere

Jump to solution

The 4630 was a reasonable player when it was released, with a decent WiFi radio and the same chipset as the original Ultra 4640. But even that 4640 wasn't the greatest on WiFi, and can't compare with the chip in the latest Ultra models. It's unfortunate, but software updates can on occasion make older players less likely to keep up with the new hardware. As technology improves, the app providers want to make use of that more powerful hardware, and perhaps unintentionally the older players simply don't work as well. YouTube is a prime example of an app that works terribly on older hardware. It became unusable on my original 2 XS after it was only about four years old, and your Premiere is now eight years old. 

For the latest Roku hardware, around 220 Mbps is the limit that can be handled. I don't know if it's a WiFi chip limit, or the main processor of the Roku. I have tested fixed bitrate videos using the USB port (so no network limitations) and a 180 Mbps video will not play perfectly on my Ultra 4800. So there's a hardware limit that makes a faster Internet connection useless. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.