Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oobleck
Channel Surfer

Alternative to Roku Media Player?

Jump to solution

I've recently started using Roku Media Player to stream music from a UPnP server built into my router.  This works OK but RMP is somewhat lacking in features.  For instance, it would be nice to see the time elapsed and remaining in the current track.  Are there any other channels that can connect directly to the UPnP server without having to run something like Plex on another computer? 

-- oobleck

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Alternative to Roku Media Player?

Jump to solution

I only know of one other functional DLNA player for Roku devices (other than RMP), and that is Chaneru. However, I don't think development has continued with it. I do know that when I was using it before RMP was released, it was extremely slow to use. I don't think it has much improvement in the video playback. Chaneru also offers its own server product, so perhaps it works better with that. Plex and Emby player channels cannot connect to DLNA servers, only their own server products (their servers do offer a DLNA output, but the players won't see the DLNA side). 

That said, RMP does show time elapsed and time remaining if you pause the playback. I tested this with both video and music. Yeah, not convenient to pause playback to see those numbers. But they are there. 

Of course, RMP hasn't received any real updates in close to two years, so no idea what Roku is doing with it now. Hopefully they will put a developer in charge of it that cares about how it works. 

EDIT: I just reinstalled Chaneru and at least on my Ultra 4800 the channel won't even load. As I mentioned, I don't think development has continued with this channel, so RMP may be the only channel option left for DLNA playback.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
renojim

Jump to solution

Try the Plex or Emby channel/app.  I believe both can find and use DLNA servers which your router may be using (or may be compatible with) for it's UPnP server.

I am not a Roku employee.
oobleck
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've used Emby, but if I'm not mistaken it requires the Emby server running on a PC to take content from the DLNA server and send it to the Emby Roku channel.  Plex seems to work the same way.  I'd like to avoid having to run a PC just to stream music.  RMP can directly access a DLNA server, so I was hoping there were other channels that could do the same thing.

-- oobleck

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I only know of one other functional DLNA player for Roku devices (other than RMP), and that is Chaneru. However, I don't think development has continued with it. I do know that when I was using it before RMP was released, it was extremely slow to use. I don't think it has much improvement in the video playback. Chaneru also offers its own server product, so perhaps it works better with that. Plex and Emby player channels cannot connect to DLNA servers, only their own server products (their servers do offer a DLNA output, but the players won't see the DLNA side). 

That said, RMP does show time elapsed and time remaining if you pause the playback. I tested this with both video and music. Yeah, not convenient to pause playback to see those numbers. But they are there. 

Of course, RMP hasn't received any real updates in close to two years, so no idea what Roku is doing with it now. Hopefully they will put a developer in charge of it that cares about how it works. 

EDIT: I just reinstalled Chaneru and at least on my Ultra 4800 the channel won't even load. As I mentioned, I don't think development has continued with this channel, so RMP may be the only channel option left for DLNA playback.

Dan

oobleck
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion.  I installed Chaneru, but all it does is show a splash screen and return to the home screen.  Not a big surprise that an 8-year-old app doesn't work.  I'm sure I'll get used to RMP eventually.

qp2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. I have a SSD containing my movies connected to the back of my Roku streambar via USB and use the RMP to access it. Seeing as I have over 700 films the RMP is torturous, but I really don't want to have another computer running 24/7 just to access my film library. Always open to suggestions here.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@qp2  There are no other options for playing videos connected to the usb port. There’s a couple of audio players, but they don’t play video. If you don’t want another device running on your network, RMP is all you have. 

Dan

qp2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All is not lost!

On a whim I plugged my USB directly into my Samsung smart tv, lo and behold! it recognized my USB and it has a media player (SMP.) The SMP is better than the RMP, but not by much. One nice touch is that the SMP shows my mp4 files in two horizontal lines, sorted alphabetically, with images from the files. It gives some basic data such as file name, type and size, but there is no sort or search function.

I suspect that every smart tv with a USB input also has a media player, though it may be primitive. The next time I need to buy a tv I will bring along a thumb drive with some media files to see if the tv will play the files.

atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, virtually any "smart" TV will recognize an attached USB drive. I have Samsung sets, and I don't think their player is as good looking as RMP. There's zero metadata (assuming your media has that available) and it is just as limited for audio codecs and captions as RMP is. But if it plays your media better than RMP, that's all that matters until Roku gets their head out of the sand and puts some effort back into RMP. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Honestly what the **bleep** is wrong with them leaving such gaping hole in the development side of these apps?! I don't know what the company makes as far as profits but seriously get your **bleep**ing act together you could hire live 5 people who were great developers and they probably could churn out a product or an improved version of this app. What the **bleep** do you guys do at Roku headquarters?! You are honestly asking for a competitor to come do it better, and I'd jump ship in a **bleep**ing second. Your search sucks, app store garbage, no internet browsing capabilities, you guys are like the tivo or streaming I can't wait for somebody to put you guys in your place you lazy sacks of **bleep**. Rant done.