Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickAdams
Reel Rookie

Re: Alternative to Roku Media Player?

Jump to solution

Thanks for your post. I have a 4TB WD XHD connected to an ancient Dell Precision laptop. It works most of the time, (yes, laptop on all the time and I hate that too) and at least once a week I have to edit poster frames and titles. I have about 500 family videos. I don't care that much about the streaming, I just want my wife to have access to our family videos on the tv after I'm gone. I did not know I could plug my XHD into the back of ROKU. I will give it a look, but what I really need is a media browser that will work with an XHD. I like the Plex interface a lot, but not the instability. Do you know of a media browser that uses images instead of text? Old people really need the picture to locate videos. Thank you. I also hate ( strong word, but ) I hate that Roku Ultra comes with ear buds but they do NOT work independently of the tv speakers.

0 Kudos
TVCCS

Jump to solution

For those who come across this thread there is an alternative app now available on Roku for media playback - Shelby USB Media Player.  I recently installed a Hisense 58 inch Roku TV that couldn't properly play 4K test video files via the Roku Media Player, especially the one from Immersive Audio used to test 4K Dolby Atmos Files.  The Shelby Player is able to play that file back successfully without stops and gaps - I'm assuming it's either got better development or a more recent CODEC stack, but it helps. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Shelby USB Media Player only has two reviews, but both place it pretty low. Perhaps they've made improvements to it, so it would make a good alternative for USB playback. But it doesn't help those who want to stream from a DLNA server. Right now, RMP is the only option available. Of course, searching the channel store for DLNA doesn't even find RMP, so perhaps there's another channel hidden in there that will also play media from a DLNA server. Chaneru doesn't count, because it hasn't been updated for even longer than RMP.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
TRB2

Jump to solution

I set up a KODLIX N40 Mini PC I bought from Amazon for $130 in the closet where my router lives. I added a 20TB hard drive in an Inateck 3.5 Inch HDD Enclosure. I moved all of my media (movies, videos and music) to the HD. I installed the Plex Media Server on the Mini PC and created different libraries to categorize the media. I use the Plex Media Player on 3 different Rokus in the house. They all work extremely well. You can also use the Roku Media Player with the Plex Media Server. The Plex Media Player doesn't have the greatest UI, but its not bad once you get used to it and its way better than the Roku Media Player. Ive been using this setup for well over a year and it is reliable and always works. I'm basically pretty happy with it.