Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlphaDog

ABC New Live app cuts off and defaults to Home screen

ABC News Live app is dysfunctional at best.
First of all, IT AIN'T LIVE... Lets get that straight. (NONE of the "Live" News channels are actually "Live" that I can see.)  It's a 30 minutes recorded segment that replays all day.

But on to the main point;
When I first got my Roku TV, I could watch ABC News Live for about 30 minutes before it would disconnect and go back to the Roku Home screen.
Now, 2 weeks later, it will only play for about 5 - 7 minutes before going back to Home Screen.
I read in the Support Community that Roku blames it on ABC because it's their app, not Roku's.

I call bull.  It ONLY HAPPENS ON MY ROKU TV.
ABC News Live is the only "channel"/app that does this.
If I watch ABC News Live on my "dumb" TV with the streaming box I got from my cable company, it works just fine... not freezing, no going back to the Home screen, etc.

Does anyone have a fix for this or is it just a flaw in the ROKU software/TV?  Thanks ~

Labels (1)
25 REPLIES 25
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: ABC New Live app cuts off and defaults to Home screen

Hi @AlphaDog
Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on the ABC New Live app or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel ABC New Live app and then re-install it again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

Hgeiger

Hi Roku Team, commenting here because I have the same problem as the original post. I have tried restarting the app as instructed several times with no luck. It’s very frustrating. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Hgeiger

Does the issue only occur on the ABC News Live app or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel ABC News Live app and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Shea2888
Reel Rookie

I also have this issue and it only happens with the abc app. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Shea2888

Does the issue only occur on the ABC News Live channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected ABC News Live and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Shea2888
Reel Rookie

The issue only happens with the ABC app. 

Removing and restarting does not work. 

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Shea2888,

Thank you for the inquiry!

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

• Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further. / Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Jenbillsmith
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with the ABC app. On two Hisense Roku tvs. I’ve tried all the suggestions mentioned above (removing the app, restarting system, adding the app) One tv is affected more than the other but it only happens with the ABC app. HELP PLEASE 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Jenbillsmith

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you please provide us with the information asked by @RokuLianna above? We'll be able to further assist you from there.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator