Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sf2fruticosus
Channel Surfer

A friend has no Search function on the main menu

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra, and along the left of my Roku screen is: Home, What to Watch, Live TV, Featured Free, Sports, Weekly Trivia, Streaming Store, Search, Settings.

A friend just bought a Roku Express 4K+, much smaller and cheaper than what I have, and she only has three options on the left: Home, Streaming Store, and Settings. So she doesn't even have a Search bar which is what I use to search and then install different TV apps. 

Why the difference between my interface and hers? Without a Search option, she can't even find Amazon Prime Video or several other streaming apps that she'd like to install.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: A friend has no Search function on the main menu

Jump to solution

@sf2fruticosus 

Generally, if you are located in the US and find that you are missing the "Search" menu item, usually indicates that the Roku account may have had an issue when it was created. (regional issue).   Some regions do not have a Search feature on the device. 

If your friend is also in the US, likely she will have to Factory Reset the device and try to setup a new Roku account (use new email address).  Make sure to disable any VPNs or anything else on a network that may hinder Roku's ability to determine where the device/account is located.  Can even try using a mobile hotspot (if available) if having trouble with the home network.

In order to factory reset, press and hold in reset button for 30+ seconds or use the Factory Reset option from Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.  This will affect any subscriptions that your friend is subscribed to if purchased "through" Roku. (using Roku Pay).

-----

There are some settings under Settings/Home Screen on both devices that the user can enable/disable from appearing on the Home Screen, but the Search is not one of them. (just in case something else is showing on yours, but not hers).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

There should be a search function within the Channel store on the device, and they can always use the Roku website to search for and install channels. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sf2fruticosus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks. When you say on the 'device', do you mean the remote? There's no 'Channel store' button on the remote. 

She's trying to figure out why her user interface is so much more limited than mine, especially why she doesn't have a direct search option as I do. Does the Ultra have a more sophisticated user interface screen than the Express?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@sf2fruticosus 

Generally, if you are located in the US and find that you are missing the "Search" menu item, usually indicates that the Roku account may have had an issue when it was created. (regional issue).   Some regions do not have a Search feature on the device. 

If your friend is also in the US, likely she will have to Factory Reset the device and try to setup a new Roku account (use new email address).  Make sure to disable any VPNs or anything else on a network that may hinder Roku's ability to determine where the device/account is located.  Can even try using a mobile hotspot (if available) if having trouble with the home network.

In order to factory reset, press and hold in reset button for 30+ seconds or use the Factory Reset option from Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.  This will affect any subscriptions that your friend is subscribed to if purchased "through" Roku. (using Roku Pay).

-----

There are some settings under Settings/Home Screen on both devices that the user can enable/disable from appearing on the Home Screen, but the Search is not one of them. (just in case something else is showing on yours, but not hers).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

Jump to solution

@sf2fruticosus wrote:

Thanks. When you say on the 'device', do you mean the remote? There's no 'Channel store' button on the remote. 

She's trying to figure out why her user interface is so much more limited than mine, especially why she doesn't have a direct search option as I do. Does the Ultra have a more sophisticated user interface screen than the Express?

They have renamed the store on the device menu as "Streaming Store". It should be on the main left menu when you're on the home screen. No, there's no direct access to the store from the remote.

To my knowledge, there's no difference in the user interface by device, except of course a Roku TV has some minor differences from a Roku player. But as @AvsGunnar mentioned, devices located in different countries, and/or the user account was created from a country that differs from their current location, there can be some differences in what functions are available. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sf2fruticosus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks very much. The factory reset fixed the problem. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.