Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DameJudith
Reel Rookie

Re: Commercials on Acorn

We're only seeing commercials on Doc Martin, but it's so annoying. Is this a Roku thing or an Acorn thing? 

0 Kudos
rothaar
Reel Rookie

Roku support says it only manages payments, and the partner channel Acorn controls content.

0 Kudos
DameJudith
Reel Rookie

Our AcornTV subscription is through Roku. Since the end of October, we've been seeing commercials while watching Doc Martin Season 3. This afternoon, I was able to watch an episode commercial-free. When the next episode came on, there were commercials. There seems to be no thought put into where the show is broken for a commercial. None of the other programs we're watching on AcornTV have been interrupted by advertising. 

rothaar
Reel Rookie

Roku gave me a number to call Acorn support. It turned out to be Acorns investments. Finally found a way to reach Acorn support and learned Roku support was also lying that Roku does not control content:

Dear Subscriber,

Thank you for contacting Acorn TV!
We can confirm Acorn TV is a commercial free streaming service. However, if you are streaming from a third party device such as Roku, Amazon/ Firestick, Apple TV, FireTV etc. Roku's have recently started showing interactive pop-up ads overlaid. 
At anytime we recommend to stream Acorn TV on all standalone apps via our website or mobile apps, and iPad/Tablets.

The Acorn letter also includes a link to a gizmodo article Your Roku is an ad factory, but this forum does not allow the link. 
Chiro2u

Its frustrating 

0 Kudos

Re: commercials on acorn.tv

When I subscribed to ACORN through ROKU they did not help me create a username and password, therefore I could not sign in through the regular ACORN channel. After I cancelled the subscription on Roku, then went to ACORN and made an account with a password and paid there only then could I watch ad free! Sneaky ROKU wanted me to watch all those ads while paying for a subscription. Hope others figure out their scheme. Including stockholders!

0 Kudos
ggoss
Reel Rookie

Mine is on Single Handed as well. I have been watching it for about a month, all of a sudden there are commercials. I pay for Acorn through Roku and had one other issue of commercials on a movie. Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
ggoss
Reel Rookie

And now it is freezing , during the commercials!! 😏

0 Kudos
Monkey5
Reel Rookie

Season20 now has ads,never had this before. Even yesterday there were no ads ??? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Acorn TV is not offered by Roku. It's from something called RLJ Entertainment, according to the Roku channel store. For support, it appears you need to contact them: https://support.acorn.tv/en/support/home

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos