Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calipete
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel - Take back your privacy!

Jump to solution

I must be missing something. I've only ever known the Roku as a streaming device for online streaming services like VidAngel, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Disconnecting the box from the Internet will disconnect me from those as well.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I was referring specifically to the Roku TV, not Roku players. Two different animals. If you no longer wish to support Roku, but don't want to throw away a perfectly good TV, just disconnect it from the network and use an alternate streaming player for the online providers. But you are correct that disconnecting a Roku player from the network makes it a fairly ineffective door stop.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I actually can't wait to sell my Roku Ultra devices on the internet for $0.01...I have about 10 of them. I'm sure it'll make some buyer out there happy and it'll make me feel satisfied knowing I was able to prevent Roku from gaining 10 new device sales! T-minus 5 days and counting!

calipete
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Aha! That makes sense!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Maybe it's better for all of us to find our new platform soon. I'm very interested to know where folks end up. I'm leaning toward Apple right now. My family can't believe it because I've never really been much of an Apple-ite. I simply don't trust Google/Android and don't like to see the Amazon empire get any larger. It's going to be a pretty painful swap. Pretty crazy watching the Roku stock drop again today... so far, they're down almost 70% from their 52 week high. I realize the stock drop has nothing to do with our recent complaints about VidAngel but it's still quite sobering. I can't help but think how Roku just might be on its slow and steady death march... it'll be interesting to see what group of users they alienate next. Obviously the company is distracted with other emergencies on their plate because of financials and their stock price but I believe things are only going to get worse from here...yup, it's a pretty sad day for me because I really did love my Rokus but I can't stay without my VidAngel and the feelings I have toward Roku are quickly turning into what is best described as neglect and betrayal!!!  😭

JustAnotherDave
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

I've owned 6 different Roku devices over the last decade.  I've recommended them to various family members that have gotten their own based on my recommendation.  When I got my first Roku, the only channels in their official store were Netflix and a MLB channel I never watched, but one thing I've always liked about Roku was the open platform where content creators could create their own channels.  This is the very thing Roku is now taking away.  Why are they doing this?  I'm not sure, but VidAngel is one channel I like that is getting axed.  VidAngel's side of the story is that Roku won't certify them but won't say why.  What is Roku's side of the story?

"Looks like Roku has grown too big for their own good and no longer cares about what their customer's want" seems to be a pretty good analysis, although it also appears they don't care about content creators either unless they are one of the big players (Netflix, Amazon, Disney). Pity. I guess all good things have to come to an end eventually.  Thanks for the last 10 years, Roku, it's been fun.  I'm sorry to say, though, that my brother in law's argument that Apple TV is better may now actually have some merit to it.  I've always bought your flagship model because I want the best streaming box I can buy and if Apple TV can do stuff you can't do, then the next time I upgrade my streaming box, it seems likely that that's going to be my choice.

Aellynne

Jump to solution

VidAngel is why I purchased Roku in the first place. There is nothing else I watch that I can’t stream through my PS5.

I will have to cancel Roku and find a different service that is willing to support VidAngel. So angry and disappointed at this decision. Very poor customer service.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Aellynne wrote:

I will have to cancel Roku and find a different service that is willing to support VidAngel. So angry and disappointed at this decision. Very poor customer service.

There's nothing to cancel with your Roku. You don't pay a fee to use it. If you decide to give it away, make sure you do a factory reset before you do, so no one has access to your Roku account or any subscribed channels. It also removes all your personal information from the device.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

I'm calling for a representative from Roku to respond to this statement on VidAngel's FAQ: "We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel and provided little insight regarding that decision." (link) I will continue to spend money to support VidAngel (even if I never watch on the TV again,) but will sharply downgrade this kind of support for Roku.

reedliable

This is the last straw for Roku

Jump to solution

I was a loyal Roku user.  They had a huge lead and were the best game in town.  I have been gradually using Roku less and less.  First using LG smart apps more.  Now I have almost completely switched to Google TV.  VidAngel was the last app I used consistently on Roku. 

Now that Roku will not allow them on their app store and is eliminating their ability to side load, I have no reason to use Roku.  Luckily VidAngel now has apps on alternative platforms.  I would think that with all the problems Roku is having growing and keeping users, they would be looking for ways to accomodate existing users, not alienate them.  Maybe their stock freefall (down 75% in the last year) is justified and not an over-reaction?