Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddubs

Memory Managment Question/Possible Security Compromise

Jump to solution

I have an SD card in my indoor camera.  What process does it use to accomplish the overwriting of old clips?  For example, does it replace clip for clip?  Or delete the oldest hour of recording at the onset of a new hour? Or does it, as it seems to have done here, erase enough clips to allow for the current set of 7 hours more recording?

Just for background: I live in a complex with shared wifi... Not ideal, I know, but we're stuck with it.  My SD card is 3.7 GiB.  I'm not a computer guru, but I'm not noob.  There are several here who are better than I, and two use Linux also.  The camera is obviously connected to the router, and therefore accessible to other residents.

I ask because I got a notification while out of town about some movement.  It only shows me a snapshot, as I do not have an active subscription.  Very disappointing, that.  The notification was on 2/3/23 at 22:27.  I received no other notifications, however, and didn't think much of it after seeing no movement on live feed.

Long story short, watching the camera the next morning just for kicks, I noticed with the sunlight that there was evidence of a break-in.  I called the sheriff, but otherwise was helpless  - I was 60 miles away with no car., and my ride home wasn't for many hours.

I was looking forward to pulling the SD card.  So was the sheriff.  I didn't get home on 2/4/23 until 23:57.  I pulled the SD card a few minutes later, on the 5th at 00:12.  I have the images from the movement alarm notification sent at 22:27 on the 3rd.  However, all records from the 3rd are gone.  Also gone is everything on the 4th, up to 17:00.

I use Linux.  There is a folder on the SD card call .ota, containing 11 items: programs what appear to be some programs the camera and some files with information for those programs.  I assume one of those programs is the one that handles memory management.

That folder and it's contents were last modified on Sunday, 2/3/23 at 04:21 (way before the break-in).  The camera is set to automatically restart every Sunday at that time.  That folder, as well as all the folders containing the recordings were last accessed on 2/4/23 at 17:00, same as the start of the oldest stored recordings.

Hence why I'm asking how it does it's memory management.  It appears on the 4th at 17:00 it wiped out enough space for it to hold at least 7 more hours of footage.  That's a bit more than overwriting old files... It doesn't seem right.  I copied all the contents of the SD card to a folder on my computer prior to reinstalling the SD card.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Memory Managment Question/Possible Security Compromise

Jump to solution

@ddubs 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku Smart Home device will overwrite the oldest clips on the memory card when more storage is needed. We suggest getting a larger card so these rewrites are less often in case of an issue where you would be unable to access it for a few days.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Memory Managment Question/Possible Security Compromise

Jump to solution

@ddubs 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku Smart Home device will overwrite the oldest clips on the memory card when more storage is needed. We suggest getting a larger card so these rewrites are less often in case of an issue where you would be unable to access it for a few days.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos