Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonifer

Why does roku need my credit card # if I'm not going to rent movies etc?

Jump to solution

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why does roku need my credit card # if I'm not going to rent movies etc?

Jump to solution

Hello! @Bonifer,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about adding a payment method to your Roku account. We are happy to help.

When you create a Roku account, you will be prompted to link payment information to Roku Pay. This will let you purchase hardware and entertainment directly through your streaming device or account. Your Roku account stores your preferences and settings, which Roku streaming devices you own, and which channels you have installed.

You will never be charged to create a Roku account. We recommend making a PIN to guard against any unwanted charges. If you don't recognize a charge on your Roku account, learn what to do with an unknown charge.

You can update your payment information or remove it at any time. Updating your payment method will not incur charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps, such as signing up for a subscription. Additionally, you must cancel your subscriptions before removing your payment method.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

They don’t.  They just encourage it.

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

I first signed up without a CC, then added one later, then removed it again still later.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Bonifer,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about adding a payment method to your Roku account. We are happy to help.

When you create a Roku account, you will be prompted to link payment information to Roku Pay. This will let you purchase hardware and entertainment directly through your streaming device or account. Your Roku account stores your preferences and settings, which Roku streaming devices you own, and which channels you have installed.

You will never be charged to create a Roku account. We recommend making a PIN to guard against any unwanted charges. If you don't recognize a charge on your Roku account, learn what to do with an unknown charge.

You can update your payment information or remove it at any time. Updating your payment method will not incur charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps, such as signing up for a subscription. Additionally, you must cancel your subscriptions before removing your payment method.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bonifer,

Thanks for the inquiry, and greetings from the Roku Community!

In addition to @RokuArjiemar post. 

Please note that you can skip entering payment information during activation or remove your card information after activating your device.

Follow these steps to remove a payment method from your account.

1. Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone.
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Click or tap the Update button under the Payment method.
  4. Click or tap Remove payment method at the bottom of the page, and confirm.

We hope this helps!

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Blondiec83

Jump to solution

This is not true at all. I have never ordered anything from my Roku or my Roku account and yet I have been charged a random amount on my account each month. There is no specific info as to what these charges are being billed for and I have disputed said charges almost a month ago and have received no response from Roku whatsoever. 

0 Kudos
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Blondiec83.

We appreciate you reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you check the unrecognized charges on your account.

You may follow these steps to check the charges on your account:

1. Sign in to my.roku.com
  2. Go toPurchase history & invoices
  3. Review your invoices forContent or Products

We suggest creating a PIN on your account to avoid any unrecognized charges on your account.
Here are the steps:

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Under PIN Preference, select Update
  3. To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN

If you're still unable to locate the charge, you may contact our Account and Billing team for further assistance. Visit our Account and Billing Support page and select the "Account, payments & subscriptions" category. You'll have an option to call or chat with us.

Furthermore, you may also visit this support article on what to do if there is a charge you don't recognize on your Roku account

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos