Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCS1

Does Roku have channels included without having to pay for subscriptions to each network?

Jump to solution

Does Roku have channels included with their subscription & device purchase without having to pay for subscriptions to each network?  I just totaled my charges for Feb & March 2024 & it cost me almost $200.00.  I canceled some of the subscriptions & was told/verified by CS/Billing that I now only have access to 4 channels.  To be able to view a reasonable number of channels, which include local ones, am I better off returning to cable? I can subscribe to internet, cable, & home phone for $188.00/mo.  If my understanding of the above is correct, I've wasted my $$ on Roku,  

Your assistance & advice will be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku have channels included without having to pay for subscriptions to each network?

Jump to solution

If you must have your local over-the-air channels then you either have to connect an antenna to your TV or pay one of the streaming providers that provides your local channels (not all do).  Pardon me if you already know this, but I'm often amazed by people that have no idea that there's such a thing as free TV if they just tried an antenna.  I don't pay one cent to Roku or anyone else.  I have a cheap antenna that provides something like 36 channels and my Roku devices give me access to more free content than I could possibly watch in my lifetime, but there is absolutely nothing in the way of entertainment that I couldn't do without (sports, the latest series, movies, etc. - I don't need any of it).

If an antenna isn't an option (usually because of your location), you might want to look into one of the cable alternatives.  They're all too pricey for me.

6 cable alternatives and live TV streaming services (2022)

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku have channels included without having to pay for subscriptions to each network?

Jump to solution

If you must have your local over-the-air channels then you either have to connect an antenna to your TV or pay one of the streaming providers that provides your local channels (not all do).  Pardon me if you already know this, but I'm often amazed by people that have no idea that there's such a thing as free TV if they just tried an antenna.  I don't pay one cent to Roku or anyone else.  I have a cheap antenna that provides something like 36 channels and my Roku devices give me access to more free content than I could possibly watch in my lifetime, but there is absolutely nothing in the way of entertainment that I couldn't do without (sports, the latest series, movies, etc. - I don't need any of it).

If an antenna isn't an option (usually because of your location), you might want to look into one of the cable alternatives.  They're all too pricey for me.

6 cable alternatives and live TV streaming services (2022)

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.