Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobice
Reel Rookie

slow wi-fi to roku streaming device only gets 1 mbps to roku but all other device from same router

get around 22 mbps. Tried unplugging and disconnecting wi-fi and reconnecting still the same. Worked good when I first got it. Wondering if device went bad.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: slow wi-fi to roku streaming device only gets 1 mbps to roku but all other device from same rout

Hey @bobice @christinescoms

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us more about your concern? Since your Roku is only getting 1mbps, are you experiencing any buffering issues on your channels? Does it happen on a specific app or all channels installed on your Roku device? Please provide us as well the troubleshooting steps you've tried so we know what steps we should take next.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bobice
Reel Rookie

Re: slow wi-fi to roku streaming device only gets 1 mbps to roku but all other device from same rout

Yes it happens on all the apps we use. I have unplugged and let it sit for awhile and plugged back in. I also disconnected it from the router and then reconnected and rebooted the router but the problem still exists.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: slow wi-fi to roku streaming device only gets 1 mbps to roku but all other device from same r...

@bobice

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you already tried changing the router wireless channel to see if that helps?
For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vsgoettler
Reel Rookie

Re: slow wi-fi to roku streaming device only gets 1 mbps to roku but all other device from same r...

Having the same issue. My router is working fine, changed networks, restarted, and my Roku is at speeds <1.  It worked fine for 2 years. Thoughts? It is a basic Roku. Thank you.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Vsgoettler Basic Roku means nothing. We need the specific model number (not just a name) to be able to better assist you.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Vsgoettler
Reel Rookie

Model #3930X

thanks.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks for that. The 3930 is the Roku Express version released in Sept 2019. It has a reputation for less than stellar WiFi. However, it still should be sufficient for online streaming, which is seldom more than 10 Mbps for 1080 or lower resolution. Your Roku is a single band, so the following suggestions are specific to the 2.4 GHz radio band.

The first thing to try is changing your WiFi channel used in your router. Assuming you can change it yourself (some ISPs lock the user out of those settings on rented hardware), you should try channel 1, 6 or 11. You can see what channel is being used now on the Roku Settings/Network/About menu. Since this setting is usually on Auto (meaning the hardware selects the channel used), they don't always choose the best channel, and its auto-changing the channel might be why it used to work better but now is slow. Interference on the same or adjacent channel can really slow the connection down.

If you have wireless phones in your home, make sure that no handset it near the Roku. Many newer wireless home phones now also use the 2.4 GHz band, and can interfere.

At the frequencies used by WiFi, sometimes only moving the router and/or the device a matter of inches can make a noticeable difference in performance. 

There's one more setting in your WiFi radio that might make a difference. There's a setting labeled channel width. If it's on auto, change it to 20 MHz. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos