Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romanofish

roku tv and sticks accept wireless network and password but express no longer does

i've been using roku for a while and now my express boxes will no longer accept my wireless network and password. the roku sticks and tv still do. How can i fix this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku tv and sticks accept wireless network and password but express no longer does

@romanofish 

Are you using different passwords for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands of your network?  Unless you own one of the newer Roku Express 4k/4k+ devices (3940/3941 models), your Express will be connecting to the 2.4ghz band, while your Roku Streaming Sticks and RokuTV are dual band and can connect to either the 2,4ghz or 5ghz band.

Each wireless band is capable of having a different wireless password so that would be first thing to check.

---

In furtherance of the above, verify that your 2.4ghz band has not been disabled by your ISP (internet service provider).  Some ISP have reportedly turned off 2.4ghz capability to their users, requiring a phone call to them to enable it again.  If the case, make sure the 2.4ghz band is also configured to use Wireless Mode b/g/n (rather than just g/n or n only) since some ISP router firmware updates have affected some 2.4ghz devices negatively, requiring all three protocols (b/g/n) be used to work properly.

---

If you are able to connect your Express devices to a mobile hotspot (if available to you) on the 2.4ghz band, then points to a configuration issue with your network's 2.4ghz band.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.