Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spencex333
Reel Rookie

XR connects and then loses internet immediately

Jump to solution

My XR serial no. cod164000289 will connect to the internet wirelessly with either my smartphone hotspot or my router and then disconnects from the internet when I try to launch the app store. I realize this is an older unit and hasn't been used for a couple of years but it was working fine when I disconnected from my TV last year. Maybe a hardware problem? I haven't yet tried connecting it directly to the router using ethernet, but if it doesn't work wirelessly, it's of no use to me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spencex333
Reel Rookie

Re: XR connects and then loses internet immediately

Jump to solution

Yes, I think it's time to send the old model to the electronic boneyard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting @spencex333

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Could you try to connect the device to the router to see if you will still experience an issue with the network connectivity? If still unable to connect or having an issue, could you let us know if you receive an error message or code?

Roku devices perform well with most home broadband services (DSL or cable internet). Shows streamed in higher picture quality formats like 4K or HDR require higher internet speeds. We don't recommend using mobile hotspots as they aren’t usually as reliable as home broadband.

Additionally, we can see that the device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means this device will no longer get new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. And an update might need to resolve the issue you are seeing.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You may already know this but that is a very early model from 2009.  Netflix stopped supporting it in 2019, and I’m sure various others have as well.  If you can’t get it to behave, the Roku Express 4K+ is currently on sale for $29.99.  (Usually $39.99.)

That said, some routers have had updates that turned b-mode off by default (ie: g/n Wi-Fi modes only) but Rokus generally need the full b/g/n modes available.  (Which you can usually do by logging into your router and turning b back on, or changing a g/n option to b/g/n.)

0 Kudos
spencex333
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I think it's time to send the old model to the electronic boneyard.

0 Kudos
spencex333
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've decided to buy a newer model. Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos