Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill292

WiFi suddenly stopped connecting 9/1/23

My Roku Streaming Stick purchased/installed in November 2020 suddenly stopped connecting to internet yesterday.  It worked on 8/31 and said it checked for an update the morning of 9/1 but wasn’t working when we tried to watch last night.  

I’ve done all of the suggested troubleshooting this morning (restart Roku, restart modem, restart/reboot router and still nothing.  On the set up screen, it sees the network with a strong signal but won’t connect to it.  I finally did the “factory reset” and it still doesn’t connect to the network.  

Edited to add: Just checked another TV in house with a Roku Streaming Stick+ installed about a month later.  Hadn’t been used in awhile so when I turned it on, it was not connected to internet.  However I was able to see the wifi network and easily connect to it.  

Any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Bill292

Re: WiFi suddenly stopped connecting 9/1/23

Never mind.  After doing something else for the past hour or so, decided to try to connect again and, oddly enough, this time it worked.  No clue why.  

0 Kudos
JanineW
Reel Rookie

same problem 🤬

during some resets it lists my Wi-Fi but still won’t connect 

0 Kudos
JanineW
Reel Rookie

I tried yesterday morning and evening and still no luck 

guess I will spend another R1500 for a new one

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JanineW,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about the issue that you're experiencing. What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV) Are you getting any error messages or codes? How far is your device from your network router? Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot and see if that is able to fix the issue that you're experiencing?

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Butterfly2
Reel Rookie

I seem to be having the same issue, but mine has not resolved.  I have a Roku Express, which, TBF, I have had since 2019, but I have never had an issue.  I live and work overseas, and this is now its 4th country, and it has always worked.

The wifi modem is maybe 8 ft from the TV.  The wifi is findable and I connected by phone and lap top with no issue, but Roku cannot find it.  I have tried turning off both and I did the factory reset on the Roku.  I tried to manually find the network, but still no luck.  There is no error code, it just says that no wireless network has been found.  There is something that says "Wireless MAC address:" with a bunch of numbers separated by colons.

Any clever ideas...?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Butterfly2,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem connecting your Roku Express to the network. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Please provide us with some details.

• Is your Wi-Fi network a private connection or a public connection, such as in a hotel or dorm?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?
  • Can you provide us a photo of the error message that you are seeing when trying to connect to the network?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Butterfly2
Reel Rookie

Thanks!  

Private connection.  I'm the only user and there are 3 devices on it: two phones and a laptop.  I just moved in, and had no issue getting those devices connected.

I do have cell data.  I turned on my hotspot, and it isn't finding that either. 😞

This is the message:

20231013_212059.jpg

0 Kudos
503007747r

Same issue. Roku suddenly stopped connecting to the wifi. Factory reset dis not help. Personal hotspot did not work either.

Any help?

0 Kudos
JanineW
Reel Rookie

Just before it stopped did it do a software update ?   Mine did the update but when it started installing is when it suddenly could not find the Wi-Fi 

0 Kudos