Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jag32266
Binge Watcher

WiFi Connectivity Error on my Ultra-X, WHAT GIVES?

Jump to solution

In the middle of a show my wifi connection FAILED on my Ultra-X roku device. I still have wifi on my phone/tablet/desktop. I've gone thru ALL the various steps mutilpe times,.. restart all/router/roku/tv blahblahblah,...unplugged blahblahblah,.. please I've dealt with computers over 30 yrs.

Setting up a network connection shows my home network @ EXCELLENT signal BUT in connecting it states NO wifi CONNECTION ,..and will not connect. In the middle of a show... and yet I'm on the internet with my wifi filing this complaint.

Did they mess up a UPDATE??????

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: WiFi Connectivity Error on my Ultra-X, WHAT GIVES?

Jump to solution

@jag32266 

What is the model number of your Roku Ultra (from Settings/System/About)?

Are you getting any error messages (usually an error "number" in the message box that may help narrow issue)?

Any more details about your network (router model number, ISP/internet service provider, using any switches, etc)?

Keep in mind the network connection is different than the internet connection.  The Roku device will first need to connect to the network (wifi) before it be able to connect to the internet.

----

Couple of things to try to see if your device can connect to a network and receive internet.

1. Try using ethernet cable (if convenient).  If able, try using initially at the router, and then try directly at modem (if using a seperate modem and router configuration).

2. Try using a mobile hotspot (if available) and see if Roku device can connect.

3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

----

Feel free to post back with the info from above and any observations.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jag32266 

I also have the 4660 (came out in 2017).  It is my main player and still going strong.

The reason behind offering you the steps to try is in an effort to try and isolate issue to either your network or the Ultra 4660.

If you are able to connect the Ultra to a mobile hotspot then that helps determine whether the antenna radios/module are able to connect to an alternate network.  If it does, then device is fine and we have narrowed it to a network setting.

Some ISP (internet service providers) also make changes to their routers and firmware (as well as using automated settings) without user knowledge that can cause issues with some Roku devices.

Your Ultra 4660 is dual-band capable (2.4ghz and 5ghz).  If your 2.4ghz is disabled, then you will only be able to use the 5ghz band.  An issue with the 5ghz band is the ability to use DFS wifi channels on some routers.  The 4660 is not able to use DFS channels (52-140), so if your router is using DFS channels (or you have set to "auto" and your router is capable of using DFS), then the 4660 will disconnect from network and be unable to reconnect until you use a non-DFS channel (36-48 or 149-161) or disable the router's ability to use DFS.  Most Netgear AC1200 Extenders also use DFS so this, again, can be a problem.

Netgear AC1200 is a "type" of router.  Without the actual Netgear router model number (sticker on bottom), I can't tell you if this may be your issue, but some of the Netgear AC1200 routers do use DFS.

----

The newer Roku Ultras model 4800 (480x) series do support DFS so you can certainly just purchase a new model and see if it works with your network.  However, by just testing your 4660 with a mobile hotspot or looking at your router settings, you may be able to save yourself a hundred dollars and see if the network configuration is actually your issue.

The following streaming device models do not support DFS channels: 3600X, 3800X, 3810X, 3811X, 4200X, 4201X, 4205X, 4210X, 4210X2, 4230X, 4230X, 4230X2, 4620X, 4630X, 4640X, 4660X, 4660X2, 4670R, 6301X, 6302X, 6303X, 6102X, 6103X, 6104X, 6106X, 6107X, 6108X, 6109X, 6110X, 6112X, 6113X, 6114X, 6402X, 6403X, 6404X, 6405X, 6406X, 6407X, 6408X, 6409X, 9101X

(https://support.roku.com/article/21332729601687)

Feel free to post back if you wish to troubleshoot and will walk you through it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jag32266 

What is the model number of your Roku Ultra (from Settings/System/About)?

Are you getting any error messages (usually an error "number" in the message box that may help narrow issue)?

Any more details about your network (router model number, ISP/internet service provider, using any switches, etc)?

Keep in mind the network connection is different than the internet connection.  The Roku device will first need to connect to the network (wifi) before it be able to connect to the internet.

----

Couple of things to try to see if your device can connect to a network and receive internet.

1. Try using ethernet cable (if convenient).  If able, try using initially at the router, and then try directly at modem (if using a seperate modem and router configuration).

2. Try using a mobile hotspot (if available) and see if Roku device can connect.

3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

----

Feel free to post back with the info from above and any observations.

0 Kudos
jag32266
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My roku model is model 4660x-2 Ultra which I think I've owned since 2011?

Netgear router wireless AC1200 (owned at least 6-8yrs)

Never had an issue. I was watching a program and paused it. Clicked on home to go to another channel. when it got to the home screen in the upper right the message state, "not connected"

My previous msg I stated ALL the various/usual steps I went thru to resolve the issue to no avail.

"..Any more details about your network (router model number, ISP/internet service provider, using any switches, etc)?Keep in mind the network connection is different than the internet connection. The Roku device will first need to connect to the network (wifi) before it be able to connect to the internet..."

1. It's been working for 10 yrs.

2. I appreciate your assistance, so please don't take this the wrong way but--

WHY suddenly it should drop the network connection and then after SIX more attempts to reconnect to the network (not the internet) I should have a need to go thru all the exercises you describe to me SHOULD BE UNNECESSARY. To me is definitely appears to be a malfunction of the device.

It's just that I do not understand why you think that suddenly I should have a need to go thru these many steps to reconnect to a network that I've been connected to for years is beyond me. I can't connect with cable, only wifi due to placement.

So I went ahead and performed this--"3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection)."

but to no use, even that didn't fix.

I do appreciate your assistance but at this point I really believe the Roku device has failed

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jag32266 

I also have the 4660 (came out in 2017).  It is my main player and still going strong.

The reason behind offering you the steps to try is in an effort to try and isolate issue to either your network or the Ultra 4660.

If you are able to connect the Ultra to a mobile hotspot then that helps determine whether the antenna radios/module are able to connect to an alternate network.  If it does, then device is fine and we have narrowed it to a network setting.

Some ISP (internet service providers) also make changes to their routers and firmware (as well as using automated settings) without user knowledge that can cause issues with some Roku devices.

Your Ultra 4660 is dual-band capable (2.4ghz and 5ghz).  If your 2.4ghz is disabled, then you will only be able to use the 5ghz band.  An issue with the 5ghz band is the ability to use DFS wifi channels on some routers.  The 4660 is not able to use DFS channels (52-140), so if your router is using DFS channels (or you have set to "auto" and your router is capable of using DFS), then the 4660 will disconnect from network and be unable to reconnect until you use a non-DFS channel (36-48 or 149-161) or disable the router's ability to use DFS.  Most Netgear AC1200 Extenders also use DFS so this, again, can be a problem.

Netgear AC1200 is a "type" of router.  Without the actual Netgear router model number (sticker on bottom), I can't tell you if this may be your issue, but some of the Netgear AC1200 routers do use DFS.

----

The newer Roku Ultras model 4800 (480x) series do support DFS so you can certainly just purchase a new model and see if it works with your network.  However, by just testing your 4660 with a mobile hotspot or looking at your router settings, you may be able to save yourself a hundred dollars and see if the network configuration is actually your issue.

The following streaming device models do not support DFS channels: 3600X, 3800X, 3810X, 3811X, 4200X, 4201X, 4205X, 4210X, 4210X2, 4230X, 4230X, 4230X2, 4620X, 4630X, 4640X, 4660X, 4660X2, 4670R, 6301X, 6302X, 6303X, 6102X, 6103X, 6104X, 6106X, 6107X, 6108X, 6109X, 6110X, 6112X, 6113X, 6114X, 6402X, 6403X, 6404X, 6405X, 6406X, 6407X, 6408X, 6409X, 9101X

(https://support.roku.com/article/21332729601687)

Feel free to post back if you wish to troubleshoot and will walk you through it.

jag32266
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I appreciate the details as it now does give me more information and I see why it's important. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos