Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
striperseeker
Reel Rookie

When will ANY Roku support 6e

I've been a long time Roku user. Many devices in multiple homes. However, I'm concerned that NO device supports 6e.  I was at a friends and they had the Fire Stick 4k and Cube TV, both supporting 6e, and wow..no buffering, no lag.
is there a roadmap for supporting 6e? Esp since 7 is out.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: When will ANY Roku support 6e

Gigabit ethernet came out a quarter of a century ago and they haven’t added that yet, let alone later versions.  Then again, streaming is not all that demanding.  I stopped seeing lagging and buffering on my Rokus when I went from 1Mbps DSL to 50Mbps cable internet many years ago.  (And I think I was using 2.4GHz-only Rokus back then.)

If you're seeing lagging now, you may have problems that can be worked around without new equipment. (repositioning, changing channels, etc.)

In any case, companies announce new stuff when they’re ready.  For most companies that’s usually pretty close to when they become available.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: When will ANY Roku support 6e

Wifi 6E is still somewhat limited. Outside of the newest Fire TV Max and Cube, it's rare. Even the new Google Streamer device is only WiFi 5 (but it does have Gigabit Internet.) Remember that most of these devices use 3rd party chipsets. 6E may also require other design changes for a 6GHz antenna. Extra features mean extra costs. It's likely a new Roku may support at least standard WiFi 6.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.