Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoraW

Ultra will not connect to Wi-Fi

I recently purchased a Roku Ultra. Plugged it right in as an upgrade to our Roku4. The 4 was having no problems. We just needed to upgrade for some of our apps. The Ultra wouldn’t connect to our Wi-Fi. I tried to use my phone as a hotspot, but it didn’t detect it. So, I assumed it was a faulty device and exchanged it for a new Ultra. Keep in mind, I plugged the 4 back in and had zero issues reconnecting to the Wi-Fi. I plugged the NEW ultra in and have the exact same issue! This one, however, does detect my hotspot but won’t connect to it either. I called Roku support and they didn’t really have much to say other than I need to purchase directly from them instead of Walmart. Seems weird that I’d get two faulty devices, though. I really like Roku. We’ve used them for years and have a few devices throughout the house.  I checked my Wi-Fi app to make sure that I’m not accidentally blocking it or something, but it’s not even showing up as a device at all. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ultra will not connect to Wi-Fi

@LoraW 

What is the router model number and who is ISP (internet service provider)?

Also, when you checked that you are not blocking it, did you verify that MAC Filter was not enabled within the router? (how did you check you weren't blocking it via the app, exactly).

I think I would first start by restarting all my network equipment (modem, router, any peripherals like extenders and such) and then start looking at the router settings.  At first glance, either a firewall or a filter setting should be investigated.  I would then see if the Ultra works via ethernet as well.

Hard to believe you would get two bad devices, but I guess not out of the realm of possibility.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.