Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku disconnects constantly with brand new router

We have 2 Roku’s. One is directly next to the router. Another is upstairs. Both roku’s have continuously disconnected once we got a new router. Per Verizon - the roku’s software might not be able to handle 5G but we have to ask Roku what their systems handle.  Does Roku systems only work on older routers which is why they constantly disconnect. How do we have the Roku software updated to be able to work with newer routers ?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku disconnects constantly with brand new router

@Izzyallen625 

If you are using a Verizon hotspot device (ie. Franklin T9/T10), verify that your APN is configured to use IPv4/IPv6.  Some are set to IPv6 by default and will cause connection/reconnection issues, so enabling IPv4 should help address that. (basically just clone the existing APN and then change the IP protocol to IPv4/IPv6).

If you are actually using a Verizon home router, then try disabling DFS capability.  Roku cannot currently see or use DFS channels (52-140), so if your router is configured to use DFS, then the Roku devices will disconnect each time the router switches to a DFS channel. (capable of switching if Wireless Channels are set to "Auto").

Similar to the hotspot devices, also look at what IP protocol your router is using and make the settings change to IPv4/IPv6 if necessary.

What are the model numbers of the problem Roku devices?  Can be found under Settings/System/About.  Also, what Verizon router/device model number are you using?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Re: Roku disconnects constantly with brand new router

@Izzyallen625 

Verizon fios is my ISP. I have a verizon wireless AX router that has no problem connecting roku devices but I have to disable DFS via the my fios app on my phone.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.