Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DampDog
Binge Watcher

Sudden drop in download speed?

Having the same issue on two similar Roku Premier streaming devices. Both devices are exhibiting the same problem. Up until a couple of days ago I was seeing excellent "signal quality" with typical "Internet download speed" of around 36Mbps-42Mbps. It has always varied a little from test to test.

Now over the course of the past couple of days it's dropped to 5-7Mbps at best. (I noticed Netflix and Disney menus were sluggish re populating) Nothing has changed re any new equipment or location of devices throughout the home. I've checked my router and I'm seeing 72Mbps via the ADSL connection. Every other device attached to the Wifi is seeing speeds varying from 30-48Mbps depending on distance from the router.

I've restarted the Roku boxes and Router several times with no improvement. Even if I move the Roku box within 6" of the router and the signal is absolutely maxxed out, download speed still sits between 5-7Mbps.

I've downloaded a little Wifi signal app to my phone and cant see any overcrowding or signal being swamped by other Wifi networks.

Any ideas?

Forgot to add. My ISP is Plusnet. I'm in the UK

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sudden drop in download speed?

@DampDog-

I know you say you've done this, but...

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart the router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power. Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos