Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akglenn225
Streaming Star

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

That’s a relief... the over and out part. 

techbasher
Binge Watcher

@boogernoseI think you're getting a little muddled over who you're responding to, I didn't change anything on my router, nor did I change anything on my access points.  They are all separate devices.  You know the difference right, given you're a tech expert?

You are taking a "rear mirror" approach.  Everything you've seen of this nature in the past has been a router issue, ergo this must be the same!  Sorry, but working in the tech world (no, not retired like your good self, still actively involved) one needs to take ALL the evidence into account.

No configuration changes have been made to any of the devices involved in the chain, other than firmware updates recently sent to Roku devices.   No, not years ago, this happened recently to a lot of frustrated Roku owners.  I do know what firmware is, I know what low level languages and assembly language are, heck I can even write code in them...

The recent firmware has affected certain Roku devices' ability to change channel/frequency when scanning for WiFi networks with the result that they no longer "see" networks they've been happily connected to for months, even years in some cases.

Read the threads, properly.  Or better still, take a nap, reflect and stop pretending you instinctively know everyone else's situation, experience and ability.  I can assure you, you do not.

Kayloalexis
Channel Surfer

Yes! I did everything I could, and people listen, it’s not your router!! With my router nothing has changed, only a roku update is what made this **bleep**ery exist lol. I tried different routers different service providers, did separate the 2.4 from the 5 blah blah..  and nothing... I finally was able to change the channel on my router again it wasn’t my router it’s the Roku’s latest update that tweaked the router I’m assuming, I guess I could be wrong. Who knows but my signal is not the same but after changing to channel 2 on the router I have 2 bars and well my streaming on Roku works great not a awesome signal but good and works fine. I also had one more option that I did not try, my internet guy a local service provider out here on the reservation says to have separate emails for each Roku account, meaning different accounts when you set your device. For some odd reason he says he received  numerous calls over the Roku **bleep**. He says one home had a streaming stick and a new Roku tv which has the build in roku software or whatever you wanna call it. He says it’s the radios within a Roku tv and something to do with your roku account if they are all linked together!! Lol 😆 idk so confusing!  Either do a internal channel change (Router), or try making separate Roku accounts with different emails for each device. First method worked for me, I will try the second when I have time. 

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

That's an interesting twist @Kayloalexis on the Roku accounts.  Keen to learn what you discover.  I have two Roku Express devices, each with a different Roku account (to restrict certain Roku channels per device), so if I have to change the account on the faulty device that might be a solution.

UPDATE @MarCuc  - this morning the Roku Express 3900 received another update from Roku, taking it from version 9.4.0.4155 to version 9.4.0.4162.  It has not fixed the issue even after resetting the network connection and restarting but it's encouraging to see Roku are still issuing updates for this model, hopefully a fix will come soon...

The Roku Express 3930 remains on version 9.3.0.4194 (no updates available) and still works perfectly and can "see" all the wireless access points it should, including the one that the 3900 model still refuses to connect to.

The 3900 can see wireless access points in nearby properties, on a variety of 2.4GHz channels (1, 6 and 11) so I think this is more complex than just changing wifi channels and possibly involving wireless protocols, transfer configuration & chipset compatibility @Akglenn225 .

I hope this helps someone!

Roku Express (3900 series) Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

It doesnt matter if it was logged in before the update

All the devices you have logged into your Router log them out and turn them off.

Reboot the Router and the Roku.

You should be able to see your SSID on your Roku and log in.

You have too much going on and are overwhelming the Router.

You cant have 20 or 30 devices logged in without repercussion.

Obviously if your problem was across the board with everybody NOBODY would be logged in.

There are Millions of Roku's out there. Figure it out.

To tell me you can code assembly is laughable

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

@boogernose  glad I gave you a laugh!  I must have PUSHed your buttons to make you POP like that.  Yes, I learned assembly language on the Zilog Z80 chip so not particularly current I grant you...

My "router" (actually it's a wireless access point, my router isn't even wireless) is not overwhelmed, it currently has 464MB memory free out of the 500MB available to it and is merrily serving delicious wireless traffic to many hungry devices without problem.

I suggest you move to another thread where your repeated advice of "reboot your router" might just solve someone's issue and you can collect some kudos and feel a warm glow.

This is a Roku update issue but I guess if your house was on fire you'd probably think rebooting your router would be the answer.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

boogernose
Roku Guru

@techbasher Tell me, why with all that convoluted equipment bouncing around...

why is it you play with lower end Roku's rather than an Ultra say?

You yourself were posting about resolving Router issues. Why didnt you open another thread?

This Thread has gotten all over the place. One has difficulty focusing.

And Frankly with all the varying issues I lose track and interest.

Its gotten silly and is multi dimensional without direction.

There is a multitude of differing problems posted here and I think you hijacked it to yours.

I myself am a retired SysAdmin and have no problems with the very same software.

If you think youre such a hotshot then handle it.

Obviously most people by far are not experiencing this problem.

Speculation on "its all Rokus fault" is meaningless.

And Im not the least bit interested in learning about confounded asinine setups as you have.

I have a couple of servers here with nodes and a dedicated connection.

I am not enamored with bubblegum setups as yours.

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

@boogernoseif you read the thread title, it is "Roku won't connect to WiFi it was connected to.".  That's pretty clear I'd have thought?

That summarises the experience of myself and others on this thread.  We are sharing our experiences in pursuit of a fix to that specific issue.  Your repeated urges to "reboot your router" and "use ethernet instead" clearly haven't helped those who are experiencing THIS issue with WiFi-only devices that have only exhibited this problem after an update from Roku.

Sorry if you've got confused and have lost focus.  It does show in your responses.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Rebooting the Router works fine for most people.

Ethernet is advisable. Are you arguing that?

Yes to be honest you bore me Im multi-tasking and dont have the time.

You should be able to fix your own problems if you are true.

I'm sure your Roku would work fine for someone else.

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

@boogernose  "ok booger"  😉