Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techbasher
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

@boogernoseneither confounded nor confused thanks, my system is fit for purpose.  Surprised you seem to know what my IT requirements are?  The only problems I have myself are with dodgy firmware updates from manufacturers but I can work around those.

Those less technically minded are probably just going to get fed up and bin their relationship with Roku.

boogernose
Roku Guru

@techbasher  seems it was a "signal" issue.

@MarCuc  Why would this be a temporary fix. Could you not do it again?

Especially for those with many connections on wifi?

for the record,

I use ethernet exclusively for many reasons including speed, quality and SECURITY.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

@techbasher 

I am aware of that. I dont think Roku's are for everyone. Especially those who have a problem being proactive with Tech stuff and patient.

There are many millions who cant use a cell phone because it is just beyond scope for them.

0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

@boogernose wrote:

@techbasher  seems it was a "signal" issue.

@MarCuc  Why would this be a temporary fix. Could you not do it again?

Especially for those with many connections on wifi?

for the record,

I use ethernet exclusively for many reasons including speed, quality and SECURITY.

You will not need to do this twice, once should be enough. A permanent fix will be when Roku fixes the firmware. As @techbasher mentioned, the channels can get crowded due to neighbors using the same channel so it may impact your connectivity.

Using an ethernet cable is always the best solution, if you can do it. I have a Roku Premiere, which is wifi only.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

All this really amounted to was a simple common problem with a known fix.

People get way too frustrated and blame Roku and God and heaven because they cant

watch a show. Of course youre all the Worlds authoritys why cant you simply relax and

focus on fixing your issue's?

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

@boogernose  there's a difference between a fix and a workaround, you know that right? 

It wasn't a "signal issue" as you presume, the Roku Express 3900 still refuses to "see" its intended access point.  The Roku Express 3930 connects to the same old access point with no problem whatsoever.  I'm lucky that I can apply a workaround by connecting the device with the faulty firmware to a different access point, get internet access and await a firmware fix (that'll be Roku's responsibility, in case of confusion).

As per @MarCuc "A permanent fix will be when Roku fixes the firmware".

cyanatic

Another Roku user here (Premier +) with the same exact issue.  Just received a new AT&T gateway and at first I thought that was the problem.  But service light on router is constant green and all my other devices see the network.  Tried resetting router and Roku, going into advanced settings and resetting the network connection.  That worked fine for one night. Sometimes the connection works for a day, then Roku can't see network again.  I tried using my phone's hot spot and that worked for a night until Roku couldn't see that. We've had the Roku since 2017 and it's worked great.  It would be nice if a Roku tech could offer some insight.  Is there an age issue with Rokus and it's just a question of buying a new one?  Sorry I have no solutions for anyone.  I just keep rebooting router, restarting Roku, and clearing the network settings in the Roku to get it to work.  But eventually it goes out again .  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What's the model number of your Premier+?  They're not all the same as Roku likes using the same model name with models with different capabilities.  I believe some were dual-band and some weren't.  What band are you using - 5GHz or 2.4GHz?  If 5GHz, make sure you're using a channel below 50 or above 144.  If your router's channel is set to "Auto", set it to a specific channel.  1, 6, or 11 is recommended for 2.4GHz.  For 5GHz, just follow the above recommendation.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

I think you have the same problem as I. You have to switch off automatic channel selection on your router, as the Roku fails to update the channel automatically due to a botched firmaware upgrade. See my posts above.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

@techbasherYou are the one who originally mentioned signal issue.

regardless you keep referring to "firmware", 

It isnt really firmware at all per se. Firmware is written in much lower levels of language.

You fixed your problem by manipulating your Routers Settings.

That was what I was trying to get across from the getgo.

This problem dates back quite a while like at least a year and has

a simple fix.  Your fix is a fix a simple fix for a Tech savvy individual.

I can tell just by your erroneous terminology you arent involved with the Tech World at all.

I'm really bored and tired with you posers. All Roku devices share the very same OS software.

This has absolutely nothing to do with DHCP or DNS. What are you talking about???

Over and Out.

0 Kudos