Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku vs Privacy Hero router

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

If using one as a gateway, did you change the LAN IPs so they do not conflict with each other (192.168.1.0 and other 192.168.0.1 as examples).

If both using same LAN IPs,  then can cause headaches and a double NAT once connected to internet.

Try disabling the Eero just to get connected and see if that is part of issue.

Need to use different LAN IPs if using both as routers (and one serving as gateway).  Use different SSIDS (basically 2 networks with 4 or more SSIDs).

Otherwise, may need to set the Hero to Bridge Mode and see if the VPN capability is still maintained. (If so, this would be the one network setup and allow the mesh to work).  Hard to tell what gets disabled at the bridged router without just trying it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't think this is a general networking issue, as I am able to connect other devices (phone, Roomba, Fire TV Stick) to the WiFi.  I will try some of your other suggestions as time allows.  In the meantime, I'm getting to the "throw my hands up" stage.  I really appreciate you beating your head against it, and I think we can just file this away and hope that there's a firmware update in my future that will miraculously solve this.  Thanks again for your help.

rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Turns out that I was cruelly deceived by my WiFi Analyzer.  The Privacy Hero router is in fact running WPA3 and is inflexible enough so that I can't change it.  Curses!!  Do you think we can look forward to a firmware update someday or will I be doomed to buy new hardware eventually?

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

OK, I lied again.  According to the vendor, the router uses mixed WPA2/WPA3 protocols, so I don't know WTF is going on.  We'll put this to rest again.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

Although I am sure Roku devices will eventually support AX and WPA3, I don't see anything that this is imminent. (current wifi modules used in roku device are b/g/n/ac compliant/capable. meaning WPA/WPA2).

The documentation on this Privacy Hero router is pretty scarce.  I will try to poke around this evening when I get some time, but if you cannot change Settings for Security (WPA2/WPA3) through the cloud-based app at https://app.privacyhero.com/, then the Roku devices will not be able to connect to this router currently.

Interestingly, this router has automatic migration so you can just connect it to your existing router without having to do the seperate LAN IPs I was mentioning in previous posts.

-----

A decent router should be backwards compatible.  Still needs to support older/existing protocols and security while offering newer standards.  I prefer to use custom firmware on older routers since much more flexibility and less automation/automatic features than the newer routers of today.  A bit more setup, but offers more control over the network/connections.

Really try to explore all the settings in the router management and verify that you cannot change those security settings.  Otherwise, looks like you will remain limited to continue to connect to the Eero for the Roku devices.

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

See my other reply.  Vendor says it does mixed WPA2/WPA3, so I'm back to being stumped.  Don't trouble yourself any further on my behalf, unless for your own edification.  I actually have a bunch of  Amazon Fire Sticks (long story) that seem to connect with no issues, so I may be crossing over to the dark side, so to speak, streaming-wise.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

Our postings crossed.  (was typing while you posted the last reply).  I see the vendor indicates WPA2/WPA3, but is your router actually set to use WPA2/WPA3?  You need to get into the settings to see what your setting is.  If set to use WPA2/WPA3, then it should be able to connect at least on the 2.4ghz band as long as your protocols are set to b/g/n.  On the 5ghz band you will need to verify the protocol includes AC.

Due to the automatic features of the Privacy Hero on the network, you really should completely disconnect the Eero while you are troubleshooting. (this way you can isolate what actually is occuring).  I see no reason for the Roku devices not to connect to the Privacy Hero if the conditions above are met.

Feel free to update as necessary.  Good Luck!  👍

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That's the real problem with this router.  If you're using the Privacy Hero VPN (vs e.g. NordVPN) ,it's virtually plug and play.  It's stupid easy to get started.  Just have to set up an account.  However, on the networking side, you can: 1) Change the SSIDs, 2) set the passwords, and 3) turn on/off the bands individually.  That's it.  It provides no other capabilities.  I think I'm stuck with what I have, probably maybe until I get a firmware update to the router.  Maybe if I were a Wireshark power user, I could figure out what was going on, but since I can do what I want with my Fire Sticks, tht sounds like too much trouble.  Again, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You're gonna love this one.  Apparently the issue is that the Roku box (but not my Phone or the Roomba or the Fire Sticks, etc.) has a problem with Wifi passwords that have special characters (e.g. "&").  Using just an alphanumeric password solved all my problems.  Agin, thanks for your help.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

Ahh...yes.  Forgot about that one.  

It actually is not the Roku device itself, but the Roku device and "some" routers.  Apparently, the Privacy Hero can be included on that list.

With other users and their routers, we had to figure out which special character was not being allowed.  Seems to differ from router to router.

Sorry, I was assuming you were using the same password as the Eero so didn't think to suggest the password change. (Usually try to do a simple password, or no password/open network to troubleshoot password issues.)

Glad you got it figured out and posted an update.  Will remember this if others run into similar issues with this router.

Feel free to post a future update as to how you find this router works/gets along with your Roku devices over some time.  👍