Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tkuraku
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku should include a gigabit Ethernet port

You are probably right, but it seems like 1-gigabit Ethernet should be a standard on consumer level equipment.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

The only two steaming devices that I am aware of with a 1 gigabit ethernet port are the Apple TV 4K and the Nvidia shield TV. 

0 Kudos
tkuraku
Reel Rookie

Presumably the Roku ultra and Stream Bar compete with those two devices.

0 Kudos
fu2
Reel Rookie

Yeah,  cars run perfectly fine at 20 mph.  You get to your destination.  Right?  Why go faster?  If you want faster,  just buy a Ferrari.  Sure... See how well that sells.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@fu2, that's a very poor analogy.  A faster car will get you to your destination quicker.  A faster network connection won't get you to the end of the movie any quicker and isn't necessary for Internet streaming.  Local streaming maybe, but Roku has little to no interest in that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mwyson
Channel Surfer

Boo

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

There is not a need for a gig port on a 8k TV. 8k TVs only needs 30 megabits a second, if you are streaming from the internet.

spikul
Channel Surfer

I upgraded to Comcast extreme and with a 3.1DOSIS modem.  Wired with cat 6.  I do not have cable TV and stream everything.  I only used ROKU with additional memory added.

On my TV I get a circular arrow while it is loading content.  It stops and sometimes it take 30 seconds or more load the buffer and present a program.  Sometimes it times out.  Wifi is worse and not better.

However on purchase an Apple TV, which has a 1 gig rj45 jack and I don't have that problem. 

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

That does not make sense. You only need 15 megabits a second per stream for 4k content. I have 3 Roku TVs and I can stream 4k content wirelessly or using ethernet simultaneously. My current configuration is 100 percent wireless. My ISP is Verizon which is fiber optic.  

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

At this point, I think it would be more worth while to request high end Roku devices to include USB-C.  That not only opens up the option for some compatible gigabit ethernet adapters but also several other things for being able to extend the platform.