Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stupidrokoo
Channel Surfer

Roku not finding WiFi network

My Roku hasn’t worked consistently since I moved in April 

Everything else in my home works without a problem just the roku

Have reset the router and the Roku both multiple times

Previously it was showing the network but every time I tried using it it said it “couldn’t connect” reset router and Roku and now it can’t find the network at all

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Stupidrokoo
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku not finding WiFi network

To clarify it is able to find all of my neighbors networks, just not mine

It is located directly next to the router so that is also not the issue

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Stupidrokoo 

Likely just a couple of settings in router that need adjusting.

What is the Roku model number (Settings/System/About), what is router model number, andbwhobis your ISP (internet service provider)? 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Stupidrokoo
Channel Surfer

I cannot access settings as i reset the Roku and am stuck on lets get started, can’t get past setup without wifi

It’s a little box with a blue light that plugs into my TV if that helps

Xfinity is my service provider 

0 Kudos
Stupidrokoo
Channel Surfer

Okay I got the network to show up by literally placing the Roku box on top of the internet box 

But it still says unable to connect to wireless network

0 Kudos
atc98092

Since it's Xfinity, you might be restricted on making the changes that might be needed on your modem/router. If you are leasing the modem from Comcast, they will lock you out of many settings. On the 2.4 GHz radio, you need the mode set to B/G/N, not G/N only. Also, the channel number must be between 1-11. By default it's set to Auto, and it might be trying to use channel 12, 13 or 14. You may need to contact Xfinity support to get them changed.

It's also possible that Comcast disabled your 2.4 GHz radio. It's been reported they've done that in the past. You should have access to that function and can make sure it's turned on. 

If your Roku support 5 GHz (which is why we need to know the model number of your Roku), it's likely the channel is again using an unsupported channel. It needs to be channel 48 or lower, or 149 or higher. Again, it's probably set to Auto and might have selected a channel within the gap between the two numbers. And again you might need to contact Xfinity to get those changed. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Stupidrokoo
Channel Surfer

I don’t know how to do any of that, I’ve never needed to change my WiFi settings to use it before? 

Comcast actually came out and helped me with it, they were not able to fix it and they charged me $35 so I’m loath to ask them for help again 

The Roku has in the past been able to connect to the router, but only for a few seconds at a time (again before I moved everything was fine)

Is there any other way to get you the model number without going through settings that I can’t access?

0 Kudos
atc98092

The model number should be located on the case somewhere, usually printed on the case in small letters and with dark ink on the black case. Yeah, not easy to see. 🙂

The settings mentioned in your router/modem can be changed by Comcast support remotely. They don't have to come to your home to change them, and they certainly shouldn't be charging you for it. The settings that are changeable by you can be accessed using the Xfinity app on your phone, and sometimes through the Xfinity account web site. But as I mentioned, if you are leasing the modem from them, you will be locked out from changing the 2.4 GHz radio mode and the channel used on both radios. 

The fact it used to work fine but doesn't now really does point to Comcast changing a setting in your modem without your knowledge. As I mentioned before, they have been known to do that. My solution to being locked out of all the settings was to install my own router, and placing the Comcast modem in bridge mode. With my own router, Comcast isn't permitted to change anything, and I have complete control of my settings. It was the only way I could finally get port forwarding to work, because the Xfinity app continued to give me an error every time I tried to set it up. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.