Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

@Jamesjr57 

Since you have Xfinity and also a 2.4-ghz only device, go into your router's Wireless Settings and verify/change the Wireless Mode is set to b/g/n.

Cable ISP routers (Xfinity/Comcast. Cox, and AT&T) have issued firmware updates to some of their routers starting last year that are causing connection and reconnection issues with some 2.4ghz  wireless devices like Roku.

Your 2710 is definitely getting up there in age.  The newer Roku devices are all dual-band (2.4ghz and 5 ghz capable) and of course, newer hardware.  If the 2710 still suits your needs, try the b/g/n fix and see if that resolves your issue. (You can make these changes through the xFi app.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Some routers won't let you change the mode via the app, so will have to contact Xfinity to make the change for you if you receive such a message.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
HopalongCassidy
Reel Rookie

I went through all the previously mentioned fixes that didn't fix anything. Resetting and unplugging both router and device, call internet provider, changing channels, broadcast band, settings, software update... you name it. Until I found some at Roku that knew the simple easy fix. The sent me this cable that goes from the stick to the power adapter. I think they call it the wifi extender cable. Fixed it perfect. Had to pair the remote.

0 Kudos
Ruca

I have a 40S325 among 5 other TCL rokus in my house. This one randomly does the same. I have tried all the trouble shooting out there. Unplugging, restarting system, rebooting, router, you name it. It's irritating as this is the TV in my bedroom so after a long day and you just want to relax and watch for an hour you instead have to go through a slew of tries to get it to MAYBE work. C'mon Roku, fix this. It's hard to be loyal to the brand when I have issues like this.

Phil_D
Reel Rookie

What is the reported Signal Strength and Internet Speed for the device with issues? If other than Excellent Signal Strength, have you tried swapping this device with one closer to your router to see if it resolves the issue? I have found that Roku devices, in general, are rather finicky about the WiFi Signal Strength. 

If you have a large home with devices distributed throughout, you might consider a Router with better WiFi coverage, or a meshed WiFi implementation.

I did have one device that was obviously bad. Even when located close to my router, the Signal Strength would jump between Excellent and Poor/Disconnected and sometimes in between. It was completely unstable. I returned it as defective within the store return window and the replacement device was fine.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Ruca 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Roku TV? If not, we suggest giving it a shot.

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. Select Factory reset everything
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

For more information, check out this link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
shajost

Got a Roku TV that has been doing the same thing for a few days now. Left it unplugged last night to try and reset the tv, still didn’t work. WiFi is fine on all other devices including another TV and a stick. Pretty sure it’s either a software update or a ploy by roku to get us to buy new products.

Jamesjr57
Reel Rookie

That’s how I felt as well I ended up upgrading to a 4k Roku and haven’t had any problems ever since I connected the new one. The one I replaced was only two years smh Good luck 

0 Kudos
Jamesjr57
Reel Rookie

I tried all that and still disconnected so I upgraded to a 4k and haven’t had a problem since. We shouldn’t have to replace our Roku’s every two years 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @shajost

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

- Is there any error message when trying to connect?
- May we know whether Roku is detecting the network?
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

We recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

Keep us posted so we can better help you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
shajost1984
Reel Rookie

I have a 65 inch TCL Roku TV that is outside its warranty. In the last week the tv has dropped its Wi-Fi connection at least 3 times a morning. The router is located less than 2 feet from the tv. I have actually debated trying a hard wire connection to see if that works.

0 Kudos