Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Hello @shajost1984 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

For clarification, have you tried connecting your Roku TV to the internet via an ethernet cable? How about performing a factory reset on the device? Please provide us with the troubleshooting you've tried so we know what steps we should take next. 

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Garebear68
Reel Rookie

Fixed. I got a fire stick 

0 Kudos
Linz0022
Reel Rookie

I have this same issue that began immediately after getting a new Cox panoramic gateway modem. Every time I turn my TV on I need to reconnect. It finds the connection instantly, and it is not a wifi issue as my other devices are not impacted and the Cox app registers the roku as a supported device. 

after reading this post I am also convinced I may need to switch tv or smart brands.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Linz0022 

We're here to help!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Deej1

I'm having the same issue and the router is literally 2 rooms away. While using if I lose the connection frequently. Model 3940RW - Roku Express 4K. Purchased a month ago. Its really obnoxious and I'm considering a different brand of device. 

0 Kudos
HopalongCassidy
Reel Rookie

Read my post a few posts up. You need the wire that goes from the stick to the transformer. Keep calling them until they agree to send you one for free. Absolutely fixed the problem instantly and has stayed fixed for months

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@HopalongCassidy 

The wire you are talking about is the "long-range wireless receiver" power cable and is required for Streaming Sticks 3810/3811 and Streaming Sticks 4k/4k+ 3820/3821 for network connectivity and remote.   You likely had a defective or damaged cable.

It is not used on other Roku streaming devices.

----

@Deej1 

For the 3940, try configuring your wireless settings in your router to use b/g/n on the 2.4ghz band, and verify that you are not using DFS channels (52-140) on the 5ghz band.  Roku cannot see or use DFS channels currently, so manually select a wireless channel 36-48 or 149-161 on the 5ghz band, or disable DFS in the router settings if you are using Auto channel selection.  These are the two most common culprits for disconnections. 

Feel free to post back with your ISP and router model number if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Deej1

Thanks, guys! I'm going to give this all a try. Really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
HopalongCassidy
Reel Rookie

I thought you had a stick. Do not these other streaming devices have some sort of "long range wireless receiver" even if it is not a cable? If not, have them replace the whole device, or ask if you are supposed to buy a new device every 4 months.

0 Kudos
Linz0022
Reel Rookie

I have tried a reset on my 2 year old Roku Hisense tv. Didn’t fix it. The issue only started when I upgraded my panoramic wifi which suggests (to me) that the Roku technology cannot keep up with the wifi technology.

My modem is sitting on the same console as the TV, not a distance or interference issue. Simply loses connection every time the TV restarts.

No other devices have this issue. I refuse to revert ten years backward to Ethernet cables to enable my Roku to stay connected. Can Roku tech team troubleshoot by getting a Cox panoramic wifi (or any device mentioned here) and testing the same?

0 Kudos