Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siggyiggy
Reel Rookie

Roku express no longer finds or connects to wifi

I have 2 roku express devices. 
it’s been working flawlessly on my network for months. Last week they stopped being connected to the Wi-Fi, and CAN’T find the Wi-Fi anymore. Every other device I have in the house, including my Roku tv, are connected and working fine, just not the Roku express anymore. I confirmed with my router and the isp that no firmware updates were pushed to my router. The Roku express will connect to the mobile hotspot on my phone and work that way, but not the house Wi-Fi. I’ve done all the things: reboot, hard reset, factory reset, same with the router. We even tuned off the 5ghz band and only ran 2.4ghz, and it STILL won’t work. As far as I can tell, this issue occurred after Roku’s latest update to my Roku express devices. Any thoughts?  The Roku website wouldn’t let me speak directly to an agent since it’s an express. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
50 REPLIES 50
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku express no longer finds or connects to wifi

Hi @siggyiggy

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us who is your internet service provider? You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router. 

If the issue persists, reply here with the serial number of your 2 Roku Express. This can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
siggyiggy
Reel Rookie

Tried those channels and it still doesnt work. We have Wisper internet. Again, the Roku express worked just fine for months with no issues, then suddenly doesn’t work. 

serial number: 

X004006mjcn8

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@siggyiggy

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sjager

I have the same issue as discussed here - Roku worked for the past year and now it will not connect to internet.  We have Xfinity.  Please help.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @sjager

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'd be delighted to take a closer look to see how we can assist. Do you receive an error code or message when connecting to the network? Did you try to connect the device to your home network or to the router?

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your hotspot is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.
If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
tattdtorn
Reel Rookie

I Have had similar issues getting connected to the wifi. Up until today, I was able to unplug each of my 2 roku express units, and it would come back after an hour or two. But this morning, neither one will connect. I have restarted and unplugged the router, and unplugged and restarted the 2 express units multiple times. They still will not connect.

I can connect my ipad and various other units in my house to the wifi, but the roku express units have been out all day. I also have Xfinity internet. 

sn #soo8523hf38r

sn #soo8523y7xt4

0 Kudos
tattdtorn
Reel Rookie

Sorry, I incorrectly stated that the units would not find my network. In fact they list my network name, and even show that the wifi strength is excellent. But fail to connect.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@tattdtorn 

Since you have Xfinity, and am assuming your Roku Express devices are the older non-3960 model, (meaning it will only connect to the 2.4ghz band), try going into your 2.4ghz Wireless Settings with the Xfi app and change/edit the "Wireless Mode" to use b/g/n.  If the app does not allow you to make changes to your 2.4ghz band, contact Xfinity and have them make this change for you.

You can determine your Roku model number through Settings/System/About.  Only the Roku Express 3960 is dual-band, so other models will have to verify the 2.4ghz band is configured correctly.  For Xfinity and some cable-ISP routers, it is necessary to make this b/g/n change in order to get the Roku devices to connect to the internet.

----

@siggyiggy 

You may want to try the above b/g/n setting also to rule out this out as a possible culprit.  Also, not sure what your Roku Express model number is.  Can also include your router model number so we have better idea of what may be some contributing culprits.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
siggyiggy
Reel Rookie

The problem is I’ve tried all of that and no joy. 
my Roku express model is a 3930x

0 Kudos