Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Roku continues to lose connections

@3rdValve  Its always good to do some basic troubleshooting. Just because your other Roku devices are working OK doesn’t mean anything. Are they all connected to the 2.4? 5.0? As I stated if you plug in an ethernet cable to your Roku Ultra and it never disconnects then it’s something with your Wi-Fi signal not the Roku itself. Not everything in life works right out of the box. Especially with people having various call networks set ups. Not everyone has the same set up. 

0 Kudos
Denni
Reel Rookie

Or… it’s overheating.  Get a fan.  Or better yet, return it.

0 Kudos
3rdValve
Channel Surfer

Well... there is no ethernet near that TV set.   Trouble shooting like this takes $time.  For now, I'll just swap in one of the other units and fall back to the older Roku I had for the other room.  When I can, I'll try the ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@3rdValve  You said the modem is right near the Roku Ultra. Therefore run an Ethernet wire over to it. 

0 Kudos
3rdValve
Channel Surfer

The device in that room is a WiFi repeater.  The WiFi in that room is very strong as it is in all the other rooms using Roku's.  Once again - no trouble in the Kitchen or Living room - all being fed by repeaters.    The fiber connection comes into the house in my office upstairs - I would have to drop a direct ethernet connection from the ceiling in the den - or haul a TV upstairs to run that test. 😉

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@3rdValve  WiFi repeaters do nothing but cause trouble. The Wi-Fi repeater could actually be the problem itself. So eliminate the repeater out of the picture and see what happens. Move the Ultra to the room where the modem is. Hook your Roku directly to the modem not to the repeater. The easiest thing to do would be to swap the Ultra with another Roku in your home. See if the problem follows. 

0 Kudos

I’m having the same issues. I see several are but I’ve seen nothing in response as to what to do. Can someone tell me what they did to fix the issue? I haven’t been able to connect all morning yet my signal is EXCELLENT. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@TracyJeffcoat 

Need some information.

What is your Roku model number and what Roku OS build are you on? (Settings/System/About)

How are you connecting to your network (wireless or wired/ethernet).

Are you able to connect to network, but not internet, or issues with both?  Are you seeing any error messages on screen? (usually some numbers and well as an error message)

How about router model number and ISP (internet service provider).

Assuming other devices connecting to network and internet just fine?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jtfried

I have a ROKU model 3900RW-Roku express
Pretty sure I got it in 2019.

I do not have cable, watch either streaming or local broadcast through  antennae 

Starting about a month ago, I could be in the middle of a show and suddenly a blip would appear in the upper right corner "You are Offline" the show would actually continue for a while but eventually it would stop.

At first I was freaking, checking my Xfinity Modem (in the same room as the device) but my WIFI was never down.
So I searched and found how to restart without actually unplugging the device (tho I did that a few times.)
Now, it is constant, so I will begin by going to Home>Settings>System>System restart( checked for updates at first as well)

I'm wondering if it is just old and I need a new one, but I would like to find out about this first before I spend money I don't have to.

Software Version 11.5.0 build 4206-51

I hope someone in Roku support will answer us.

0 Kudos
Denni
Reel Rookie

I firmly believe it’s because of overheating.  See if you can either clean the thing with a vacuum and then also put it in a place where it doesn’t get hot.  I think the heat is interfering with the Wi-Fi module. 

0 Kudos