Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jw95
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku continues to lose connection

My ROKU sets right above my router and has since I bought it last March(2020)..Have had zero problems until about 2 weeks ago..

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku continues to lose connection

@Jw95

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device a bit further from your router to see if you can get connected? Some customers have reported that when they've placed their device too close to their router they are experiencing similar issues.

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Roku continues to lose connections

Go to System>System Restart. That fixed my issue with this. I also turned off Data Saver mode under the Network Connections. Also I think when they work on the optical cable in my area, we tend to loose connection. I hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Kray1s

I have read through all the “solutions” offered none of which seem to work.  I am constantly  having to reconnect. It’s to the point where I can’t even get a full 5 minutes of “connection.  
Is there a solution? Or am I looking to buy a new TV? 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Kray1s  Can you please provide more information. Are you using a Roku TV? Which model are you using? Who is the manufacturer? When did you purchase it? 

0 Kudos
Denni
Reel Rookie

It’s over heating.  Try pointing a fan at the back of your device while you’re using it. 👍🏻 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Denni  I highly doubt it’s overheating. Thanks 

0 Kudos
3rdValve
Channel Surfer

We are having the same problem.  Recently "upgraded" to an ultra for Den TV.  Only have two others.  Strong network connection - Verizon, 300mbps, router in the same room - the Den Roku looses its connection constantly.  Sometimes a soft restart fixes.. sometimes needs hard restart (unplug, replug).  As a software developer, this smells like a software or firmware issue to me.

Will probably downgrade back to cheaper model again.

Roku: FIX YOUR BUGS!!!!

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@3rdValve  Some basic troubleshooting on your part for your Roku Ultra is a good place to start. All new modems broadcast in two Wi-Fi signals. 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. Have you tried both? Go into your Roku Settings/ Network and run a check connection test on both the 2.4 and 5.0. What does it say for speed (Mbps)? Also since you’re using an Ultra try plugging into the ethernet port. If your connection never drops then it’s telling you there’s something with your Wi-Fi signal and not the Roku itself. I own 2 Ultras. One on WiFi and one on Ethernet. Neither of them drop signal. My Roku Sticks don’t drop WiFi either. But I also have a century located modem which broadcast and even signal throughout my entire home. One of the main reasons people upgrade to a Roku Ultra is because they want the ethernet port and the SD card capability. If none of those things are important to you than a Roku Stick 4K or Express 4K will suffice 

0 Kudos
3rdValve
Channel Surfer

All of the other Roku's in our house work just fine.  It is only 1  that does not.  All on the same network.  I don't have time to run down stupid rabbit holes.  It's clearly a defect in the unit:  As a matter of fact, if I swap in one of the other Roku's I have, it all works fine.  Just sending it back.

Done here. 

0 Kudos