Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fluke
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 not compatible with 802.3az EEE Green Ethernet

@AvsGunnar wrote:

As such, can certainly try a manual setting of 100Fdx(100 Mbps, full-duplex).  May have to experiment a bit, but may be able to avoid this conflict by simply disabling auto negotiation. (p.30 - changing interface physical mode - disable auto negotiation).  This should allow rest of switch to remain in EEE mode and affect devices it is compatible with on ports with auto negotiation enabled.

This seems reasonable.  I agree it should be worth a try.

@AvsGunnar wrote:
Why the previous Ultra model worked with the switch, no idea on that one, other than sometimes newer not always better. Have a suspicion it is probably firmware related.

I can't find what chip functions as the ethernet controller for either the Roku Ultra 2018 or 2020.  But both use Realtek for Wifi.  I assume it is likely the ethernet controller is a Realtek as well.  I'm not aware of any chipset flaw that would cause a modern Realtek ethernet controller to not work with 802.3az.  So I also think this is firmware related.

The Ultra 2018 uses Linux kernel version 3.10.108 while the Ultra 2020 uses Linux kernel 4.9.185.  It might be changes in the updated driver or how they tweak the driver options is causing the issue.  Hopefully Roku can take the time to investigate and resolve the issue.  Leaving it up to customers to figure out work-arounds is disappointing.  Escalating this to an official complaint to the EPA should still be considered an option.

What bothers me the most is the assertion by the other forum member that it is the responsibility of the customer to perform the regression testing.  Instead, regression testing for honoring power saving standards should be the responsibility of Roku when they market the device as providing power savings.  When Roku fails at performing those regression tests, it should be considered in scope on this forum to discuss that failing.

I find the claim the OP somehow the one that failed and saying they "should have researched this" to be completely unhelpful.  I see nothing the OP did wrong or anything incorrect with expecting to be able to discuss this here.

Offering up a potential work-around is infinitely more helpful than a game of blame the customer.   Thank you.