Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter887

Roku Premiere suddenly wifi is super weak and cant connect

I signed up for a Chinese streaming service for a family member and they included a Roku Premiere for us to use their service on. and it's been about 5 months only. It has worked okay for the most part (save for the fact that sometimes it seems it shuts off and I can't turn it on without unplugging and replugging the device). Today the device would not connect to my router. It sees the router but says the signal is weak and when I try to connect anyways, it will fail. I tried restarting the device, I tried resetting the network connections, I tried resetting the router, with no success. The room is not too far from the router either, on the same level. I've since relocated it to a different room somewhat closer and its working again. Nothing's changed in terms of putting stuff that might cause wireless interference.

The model number is 3920X or 3920CA

Any thoughts? Is the device just **bleep** and I need to get another one?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere suddenly wifi is super weak and cant connect

@peter887 

Assuming it's the model 3920 Premiere, that item is a slightly older device, discontinued over a year ago. However, it's a fairly good device, and should work.

However, that device is 2.4 GHz only, and many ISPs have been changing their network settings from 802.11 b/g/n to g/n, which will cause issues with Roku devices connecting on that band.

Check your router settings and see if that's the issue. If so, and if you can change them back to b/g/n, then that should resolve it.

Oh, by the way, there is one ISP where the situation is almost the opposite. Not sure why this is the case, but it may be worth providing the model number of your Roku device (Settings > System > About) and your ISP.

More info about the whole b/g/n vs g/n thing: link

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Ah, the notorious 3920.  I've stated my opinion too often, but yeah, that last question you asked...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Mine is 3820.  I don't know how to find isp.  My roku was working until I tried to get an nfl game on sling.  The screen said I had to update my system.  When I tried to do that I lost everything.  i reset the router and the device but it won't connect.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @AlaskaPaula

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us who is your internet service provider? Most of the time, the company name will show on your router. If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos