Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyHernand

Roku Not Connecting to Wifi

Roku is showing excellent strength, but will not connect to wifi. No answer has been given on any of these similar posts.

10 REPLIES 10
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Not Conbecting to Wifi

Hi @AmyHernand,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Roku device not connecting to the WiFi connection. Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that helps the issue you are seeing?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

You can visit our support page for further reference on how to troubleshoot network issues: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@AmyHernand-

There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku wifi connections. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network.

Note that, of recent Roku models, non-4K Roku Express/Express+ (model numbers below 3940) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers below 4620) can ONLY receive the 2.4 GHz band and are therefore affected by this.

The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.  See "Reconfiguring Router", below.

Reconfiguring Router
Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar  for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Avdhe

Won't connect to wi-fi or Hotspot. I moved so have new wifi name, but same TV, same Roju (4, I believe)

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Avdhe,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem connecting your Roku to the network. We'd like to know more about the issue that you ran into. Please provide us with more details.

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV; specify TV)
  • How are you trying to connect to your network? Is it via a wired or wireless connection?
  • When trying to connect to your network, what do you see on your screen? (before putting in the network credentials)
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials)
  • How far is your device from your network router?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jess4shore

Re: Roku Not Connecting to Wifi

I AM HAVING THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE, AND AM EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED BY IT. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Jess4shore,

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

Connecting to your internet is really important for your Roku device to work. We can help you with that! 

We would be happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us with the following details being asked and being posted by @RokuEuniceL?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Martini

Re: Roku Not Connecting to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Router

I have a Roku Express 4K+ (model 3941X) that will not connect to my T-Mobile 5G router. From what I’ve read, this particular model is supposed to work with 5G networks. I successfully connect to the device but cannot get an internet connection. Need help.

0 Kudos
MilesLamb
Reel Rookie

Today I had a real problem. I couldn’t connect to the Internet at all, and I had only one important task left - to finish my coursework. For a minute I felt like the world was falling apart, but then I pulled myself together and decided to use a backup plan. The library and paper sources became my faithful companions in this adventure, and I was able to successfully complete my work. But I still couldn’t connect to the Internet, I don’t know what the problem is!

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MilesLamb,

Greetings!

We're sorry to hear that your Roku device is having issues connecting to the internet. May we ask what specific Roku device are you having issues with?

Additionally, you can try to perform a system restart to see if it resolves the issue. To do this, navigate to Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart. After this, kindly check to see if you notice any difference. Further, we also recommend trying to connect to an alternative network such as a mobile hotspot to see if you're able to connect.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos