Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iceman1

Roku Express cannot connect to dorm wifi

I have been using my Roku Express in my dorm for over a year with no issues. Within the last few days, when I attempt to set it us to the wifi, I get a message saying it is unable to connect to wireless network, and I get the error code 014.50. My wifi network is strong in my room, with other devices connecting to the internet. My roommates, who all have Roku devices, including the Roku Express, are all able to connect to wifi as normal. I have tried moving my Roku Express to different TVs in the dorm and I still get the same error code. I have tried restarting my Roku and factory resetting my Roku, but the results are still the same.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem, or do I have to purchase a new Roku device?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express cannot connect to dorm wifi

Hi @iceman1

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

We're more than happy to look into this network issue you are experiencing with your Roku device. For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting this Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect?

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
iceman1

I have been able to connect it to a mobile hotspot and it connects without issues, it is just when I try to connect it to my dorm's network that it does not work.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @iceman1

Thanks for the post.

There could be several reasons why your Roku Express cannot connect to your dorm WiFi network. Here are some possible causes:

• Network security settings: It's possible that your dorm WiFi network has security settings in place that prevent your Roku device from connecting. This could be due to firewalls or port blocking. You should contact your dorm IT department to see if they can assist you in configuring your Roku device to work with their network.
  • MAC address filtering: Some dorm networks require you to register the MAC address of your device before you can connect to the network. You should check with your dorm IT department to see if this is the case and if so, register the MAC address of your Roku device.
  • WiFi signal strength: It's possible that the WiFi signal strength in your dorm room is too weak to establish a stable connection with your Roku device. Try moving the Roku device closer to the WiFi router or access point to see if this helps.
  • Network congestion: If the dorm network is congested, it can cause connectivity issues with your Roku device. Try connecting to the network during off-peak hours when there is less network congestion.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos