Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Does Not Stay Connected to WiFi

Jump to solution

@SunnyFlowersLDJ, have you enabled "Fast TV start" under Settings->System->Power?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Every device connects except the Roku in my room. I have to reboot the entire house EVERY TIME which then shuts down ALL computers, printers, & other TVs that are actually connected. I have a home office, this is not a remedy & is unacceptable. This happens continuously after every update is installed. Every day, every night, all the time for months! Totally  Disgusted. Seems to be no remedy. The answers include menu selections I don't even have. ABSURD! 

0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't have those options. I have settings, system but no power option under that menu. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@SunnyFlowersLDJ, I'm sorry, but from your post I assumed you had a Roku TV, not a Roku device connected to a TV.  As I read it again I'm going to go with another assumption - you have a Roku device connected to a TV and you're using the TV's USB port to power the Roku device?  Is this correct?  If so, use the supplied power adapter or one from a phone/tablet that can supply at least 1 Amp (e.g., Output: 5V 1A).

0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Correct. I am using the Roku device supplied usb cable. All other Roku  devices connect except one. They're all setup the same way. Only one makes me reboot the entire house every time I turn on my TV. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@SunnyFlowersLDJ, does "the supplied USB cable" include the supplied USB power adapter?  Turning off the TV shouldn't affect the Roku device at all as long as it's plugged into the wall, so I'm trying to understand what's going on here.  Roku devices are really meant to be powered up at all times, so if you're not doing that then that's the place to start.  Disconnecting the power and reconnecting it shouldn't cause the problem you're seeing, but something strange is happening.

0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I have a ROKU SE with HDMI cable & USB power cable that are both connected in the back of TV.  There is no power cord that plugs into a wall. I disabled pings & entered my zip code. Seems to be working thus far. ?? 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@SunnyFlowersLDJ, if you want your setup to be more reliable find a USB power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet and use that instead of the USB port on the TV to power the Roku SE.  Make sure the power adapter can supply at least 1 Amp.  Look at the fine print and it should have something like, Output: 5V 1A.  Anything greater than 1 Amp is ok, too.

SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks so much! I will pick one up this week and let you know! 

0 Kudos
Jdelao211

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue with my roku device. Everything connected to internet in the house worked fine but my roku didn't.  I was upset thinking my new router was causing the issue. Come to find out it was my lack of knowledge in network settings that caused the issue. Hahaha, long story short I have a netgear cable wifi modem, and I had  to unchecked the enable-ax. Guess my roku can't function with it on.