Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allisonrja
Reel Rookie

Roku 3910RW - Express+ drops connectivity - Router shows 801.11 b/g/n/ax

I upgraded my router/modem to the Arris Surfboard G36.  I successfully connected my 3910RW Express+ and streaming works.  However, the Roku frequently, at least once a day normally in the morning, drops Wireless and I have to restart the Roku by unplugging waiting and plugging back in.  The Express+ reconnects and everything seems okay.  I never had this issue with my old router, which has been sent to the router graveyard.  

Roku is on software version 12.5.0 build 4178.  

I've checked my router and the 2.4 GHz setting shows 802.11 b/g/n/ax.  Is that okay?  The router does not have an 802.11 b/g/n "only" option; showing 802.11 ax; n/ax; g/n/ax; and b/g/n/ax.

Is there a fix or do I need to buy a new Roku?  If buying a new Roku is necessary, which one?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3910RW - Express+ drops connectivity - Router shows 801.11 b/g/n/ax

Hi @allisonrja,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku Express+. May we know how far your Roku Express+ is from your network router? Are your other devices able to connect to the network without any issues or latency?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@allisonrja-

If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.

More info on this setting: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
allisonrja
Reel Rookie

My Roku and Router are 10 feet apart in the same room with nothing between them.  All other devices behave as expected, they remain connected to the router with no latency; for example the wireless printer , my iPhone, and all blink security cameras.

I’ve yet to figure out a pattern. I have noticed this, however. I had the Roku forget all networks. I then selected the 2.4 option and the three checks for connectivity, including wireless, completed with green checks.  The next thing I did was to select check connection.  I changed nothing. The behavior I saw: the wireless option displayed a red X!  I did a system restart and the Roku connect as expected
I continue to look for a pattern, however, I’m running out of ideas. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @allisonrja

Have you tried using an alternate network such as a different connection or connecting to a mobile hotspot to see if you're able to notice any difference?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
allisonrja
Reel Rookie

I turned on personal hotspot on my iPhone 15 and connected the Roku express+ to it.  It was successful.  An immediate "check connection" worked and performing "check connection" multiple times worked each and every time.  

I did a network connection reset and reconnected to the Surfboard G36.  It was successful, however an immediate "check connection" resulted in a 14.30 error on the wireless check.  A system restart and the roku is once again connected to the Surfboard G36.

Again, wireless check on connection resulted in a green check and an immediate "check connection" resulted in a red X for the wireless check. 

There is something going on with the Surfboard G36 but what?  What changes within seconds from a successful connection to an unsuccessful connection check? 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the response, @allisonrja

Confirming that your network is having the issue, we recommend reaching out to your internet service provider and inquiring further regarding this issue for a workaround and resolution.

We hope this will be sorted out soon.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.