Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamSch2727
Reel Rookie

Repeated Random loss of connection started recently; Roku channel not working

—>Tried to connect for about 4 hours after watching something but suddenly lost connection—All other devices connect normally to router. Tried rebooting ZTE ZXHN F660 modem (no recent updates) in bridge mode, TP-Link Archer C80 router dual band with different names for 2.4 & 5 GHz, so only trying to connect to 2.4, rebooted Roku multiple times; tried all channels from 1 to 11, set bandwidth to 20, changed Mode to 802.11n, Roku said “connected”, went to Home—>Roku—>selected show to watch, clicked on it, got the info (name, channel number etc.), but it wouldn’t load. Back to Settings, where it said “not connected”.
After giving up for the night, I went back to the Roku device in the morning, Roku was connected, and some channels worked normally (Tubi, Fox Business, Amazon Prime), while Roku loaded only the menu on the left. Only “Search” showed any content, but nothing loaded. Changed HDMI port on TV, but that didn’t help. Updated Roku App to no avail, then deleted Roku app, but now Streaming Channels won’t load. Clicked on OK to reload as per the instructions, but nothing happened, because Internet connection lost. (20:18) 21:03 restarted device because says Connected, but when I click on Check Connection, says Not Connected. Tried connecting via a Personal HotSpot—unsuccessful. 

Model 3900X-Roku Express
Serial Number YGOOFA4778OO
Software Version 11.0.0-build 4193-51
Device ID C3387F477800

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Repeated Random loss of connection started recently; Roku channel not working

Hi @SamSch2727

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SamSch2727
Reel Rookie

Re: Repeated Random loss of connection started recently; Roku channel not working

Hi Kariza,
Thank you so much for your speedy response.
My Roku is not being powered by the TV, but is plugged into a surge protecting power strip, which is plugged into the wall outlet.  The power strip also powers the TV, which is on, and the DVD player, which is currently off.  This is the same set up as I had before all the trouble started.  

The Roku Channel is still not working correctly.  When I click on Live TV Channel Guide, the channels show up, but when I click on, say, 522, and select it, I see the info about the current program, but the screen stays dark, as per the attached picture.  I have randomly tried different films and TV shows--some load and play, some do not, and the screen then again shows "loading" and "play".  After 11 rows of options, no further options load, and I only see the screen with 3 blank black boxes per row.  Other apps (like YouTube and Tubi) seem to be working normally. 

Your further help will be much appreciated.  

All the best,    Marita

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@SamSch2727

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response.

For clarification, are you still experiencing random loss of internet connection? If not, we suggest you try running a manual software update. To do this, go to Settings > System > System update > Check now

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos