Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g-whiz

Remote access of home NAS on Roku

I have a home NAS (Network Attached Storage) that has media content I want to access with my son's Roku when I'm outside of my home LAN and at his house. I have remote access to my home NAS using my phone and computer, But I can't figure out how to get a Roku to access the same library as I do at home. I think I need a streaming application that allows me to point to a DNS address rather than just a server directory on my LAN.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remote access of home NAS on Roku

It's called a media server. Nothing to do with DNS. A PC on the network could do it, or a router on the network with a built-in media server and a USB port for attached storage could suffice. Your NAS could even have one built-in but not enabled.

0 Kudos
g-whiz

A search for an application (channel) called "media server" came up with nothing. Obviously, the native Roku 'Media Player' application is there, but it only works with local (LAN) media. It has no option to point to an outside URL for media content.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read that that wrong. I didn't realize that you're using a Roku that isn't on the LAN with the NAS. Even if both are on the same LAN, it would require a media server for Roku media player to see the files. 

I don't know of any way to directly stream that to the Roku. You can download to your phone and play it to the roku, but not access the NAS from the roku AFAIK.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@g-whiz, you need something like the Plex server running on your computer and the Plex channel/app running on your remote Roku.  There are probably other solutions as well.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289506-remote-access/

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Aurora4891
Reel Rookie

You would have to set up a Home VPN to access your network from anywhere.

0 Kudos