Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orukal
Reel Rookie

Question about 802.11 bgn connectivity

Over the past couple of weeks, I've started having intermittent disconnects from the internet on 3 Roku devices. A 3941X, 3930X, and a 3820X. I had no disconnects over the prior 10 months. I've made no setting adjustments on our router on our end. Distance doesn't at all seem to be an issue as of two of the Rokus that seem to disconnect at the same time, one is diagonally at the opposite end of the house and the other is about 10 feet away from the router. I've been researching possible causes and at this point I've come down to two possibilities.

1- With regards to the 5g signal, I've noticed that the only channel the router seems to be using is 44 and that is almost always 1 star out of 10 on WiFi Analyzer. Unfortunately, the router I'm using from the provider does not permit me to change the channel and all other 5g signals near me seem to be also using 44. I feel that this holds a high probability and I will be checking with my provider to see what can be done about it. Purchasing our own router isn't something that's likely to happen right now. One thought I had was getting a WiFi extender and connecting only the Rokus to it so I can adjust the channels, but I don't  know how likely considering the original source.

2- A second thought really starts with a question. I read that the Roku requires a 802.11 B,N,G connection but the router is currently set to 802.11 G,N,AX. Could this make a difference? I don't know if it was set to BNG before and then was changed remotely. It's just one of those things that I read and noticed.

3 REPLIES 3
ethanli
Reel Rookie

Re: Question about 802.11 bgn connectivity

Also have issues with Roku model 3941x2 with Xfinity router which has 5GHz a/n/ac/ax. It just keep disconnecting from the network and I have to restart to join the network again.

0 Kudos
orukal
Reel Rookie

Almost completely forgot about this. Well, I never was able to find any type of solution so in the end I purchased a pair of $20 Onn 4k Streaming Boxes and I have had zero issues since doing so.

It's unfortunate, too, as I had been using a Roku for about 15 years up until last year. I think what I might do is plug one of the Rokus back in and give it a shot for a week or so just to see if anything has changed.

0 Kudos
ethanli
Reel Rookie

I end up switching to microUSB ethernet. Changing the position of router helps to some extent but Roku will still drop the connection at some point. There is a fundamental problem between Xfinity router and Roku now.

0 Kudos