Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindushka

Problem with over 5 devices

When I had Comcast, I had problems with connectivity when I had over 5 devices connected. 
Comcast had a solution that required a technician doing some rewiring of their box at my house. 
I’ve been seeing a lot of posts about connectivity involving over 5 devices. There are many different possible resolutions; your internet provider is another possibility.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Problem with over 5 devices

Hi @Lindushka,

Welcome, and thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

Could you give us more details on the issue that you've been experiencing? Are you encountering any error code or message while connecting to the network? In addition, have you tried using an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, and seen if the issue persists?

Please note that both devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router broadcasts a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect.

We'll be eager to wait for your update. Thank you!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Problem with over 5 devices

By an order of magnitude the MOST prevalent issue with WiFi connectivity is channel congestion and proper configuration of router settings. And while it may seem difficult to manage this, its NOT. The first step is installing a network analyzer app like WiFi Analyzer on Android or something similar on IOS.

Secondly, its important to understand how WiFi bands work. The 2.4 gHz band gets greater range but is much slower than 5 gHz. The bandwidth setting 20. 40, 80 for each band is critical as well.

If the user has properly set up the router with an SSID (Secure Socket network ID) and password, they will find it when using the analysis app and see how many others are using the same channel. Then logging into the router interface, they can change channels to one with less congestion whether 2.4 or 5 gHz. After making the changes, the user can check the analysis app which will show the signal strength after the changes. This often solves the problem, though setting the bandwidth to auto (20/40/80) is important too.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos