Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aleenMax

The Roku Express + 3910RW is experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity issues

Having used Rokus for close to 10 years, I have a whole house full of them. It is pretty familiar to me that the Roku Ultra (duplicate of a 3 with a gaming remote), 2 Roku Express + 3910RWs, a streaming stick 4k for vacations, and two TCL Roku TVs (65" and 43") work. One 3910RW is glitchy out of all of them.

After reading all the posts and documentation, here's what possibly is the issue: is it really, truly an issue to be too close to the wi-fi access point? I can't hard wire it (no ethernet on the 3910RW), and can't move it further away (limitations of the room), so right now it's an issue with connectivity.

There are two access points (one in the living room and one in the garage) and a repeater throughout the house on my wi-fi network. It consists of a main cable modem 1 Gb wi-fi router from Xfinity (Comcast) and two access points. The first access point is in the living room, literally inches beneath the 65" TCL Roku TV, which I hardwired to the access point because it's the main viewing TV and I don't want any issues. The second access point is in the garage, roughly 10 feet from a 3910RW and the 3930X, both connected via wi-fi and operate perfectly. The 43" TCL is in my bedroom and connects to the living room access point, with no issues.

Roku Ultra is in the kids' playroom and is connected to a repeater via Wi-Fi. No issues here either. The last 3910RW is in the home office, about 8 feet away from the main Xfinity (Comcast) 1gb cable modem wi-fi router. THIS is the one with the issues... it constantly loses it's connection with the wi-fi, but I can't physically move the devices any further away from each other, and with no ethernet, I can't hardwire it to my network. Almost every time I use it (about once every few days) I have to reconnect it to the network it already claims to be connected to... It makes a network connection, but no internet connection. I restart it through the option offered, and it usually works... but not always the first time. I have tried to connect it to the repeater and/or one of the other access points, and it won't make a connection at all.

Physical proximity is the issue, or is it something else? Or is this particular Roku glitchy and has a radio issue with the wi-fi? The other identical model Roku in the garage is only about 2 feet further away and never has an issue. Should I swap it with one the garage Rokus and see if the issue continues? The other reason I think this particular 3910RW has a problem is that on ALL of my Rokus, I upgraded remotes from IR to RF voice remotes, and they all work fine except this office one - it connects to the IR remote just fine, but the RF remote doesn't seem to ever work right, and if it does connect to the R3910RW (sometimes it won't work at all), not all the features work on it. I have tried re-pairing the RF voice remote dozens of times unsuccessfully, and yet it still kind of works, but not always.

My reading of all documentation and posts has not yielded the same issue. Looking forward to some closure on this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Roku Express + 3910RW is experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity issues

@aleenMax 

Firmware updates to cable ISP modems (Xfinity/Comcast, AT&T, and Cox) have affected 2.4ghz band devices like your 3910 by causing disconnection and stubborn re-connection issues due to a speed-protocol setting at the router.

Try changing the "Wireless Mode" under your 2.4ghz wireless settings at your router to b/g/n if currently set to g/n.  Then restart both your router and Roku devices after making this change.

Your RokuTVs and Roku Ultra devices are unaffected by the above issue because they are likely connecting to the 5ghz band of the network.

Feel free to post back with router model number if still experiencing issues after making the above change.

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Scooter411

I’m having the same issue as the OP, and I went to look at my 2.4 settings on my Wi-Fi, and my Xfinity router does not allow for me to change my settings - it’s the second one listed in the link you gave and states that advanced controls are not accessible.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Scooter411 

More of the ISP are preventing user configuration of their routers.  Two options are available to you.

1. Call the ISP (Xfinity), and have them make the change for you.  Don't let them tell you they can't.  Call back if you get an unhelpful/unresponsive tech support agent until you get one that will change it for you.  They can prevent you from making the changes yourself, but they cannot prevent you from enabling/using legacy protocols on your network.  Tell them to "change the wireless mode to b/g/n on your 2.4ghz band".

2. Purchase your own router.  Then place the ISP router in "bridge mode".  With this configuration, the ISP router will act only as a modem (for internet connection and access), and your new router will act as the "router" and you will be able to configure as you see fit for all your devices on your network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Scooter411

Thank you! I’ll give them a call tomorrow

Lindushka

When I lived in Ogden UT, I had Comcast.
I had problems with connectivity when I had over 5 devices connected. 
Comcast had a solution that required a technician doing some rewiring of their box at my house. 
Check it out with Comcast.

0 Kudos