Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillyRootbeer
Reel Rookie

No wi-fi 6 on any Roku devices.

Roku company needs to add a new after with wifi6. Speed matters. 

18 REPLIES 18
BillyRootbeer
Reel Rookie

Re: No wi-fi 6 on any Roku devices.

*new player 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Unless you are streaming local video from a home computer/server, then speed is NOT a big issue. Even 4K tops out around 25Mbit for INTERNET streaming. If you want to stream local media at high speeds, find another (more $$$) device. Roku's are primarily designed for INTERNET streaming, not home media.

BillyRootbeer
Reel Rookie

To reduce response time within the app. To load app activity faster. Wifi6 outperforms. You and I are thinking of speeding in different ways. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Wifi 6 was released 2.5 years ago also brought WPA3 and Wi-Fi 6 was revisioned with WiFi 6e. I have a router that is set to WPA2. Why is Roku slow on releasing products that are up to the latest standards? I saw a fire TV box with wifi 6e.

andyross
Roku Guru

The reality is that Wifi 6e is a bit of a bust. The chip delays and shortages have made it expensive to add to more basic devices.

It may show up on a new design Ultra someday, maybe even with Gigabit Ethernet. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I was going to hold off on upgrading my wifi 6 router to 6e unless there is compelling reason to upgrade or just wait for wifi 7 to be released, because all of my devices are wifi 6 and my family has wifi 6 devices too. The manufacturers of the Roku TVs are only putting in Wi-Fi 5 as far as I can tell too. I own 2 westinghouse's and one sharp. I also have a roku soundbar too.

0 Kudos
Hypergreatthing
Reel Rookie

It's not always about speed.  802.11ax is all about better utilization of existing bandwidth.  Some people have mesh networks and adding an older device into the mix can cause several different issues like lag and random disconnects.

A lot of the pitfalls of mesh networks are completely overlooked because of their ease of use.  A lot of people are upset that their roku streaming devices are causing the issue.

More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/nqbuqk/roku_the_mesh_killer/

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Roku is using wifi 6 in it's plus series TVs.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

In another thread, someone bought a Roku from 2010 because new ones don’t have composite video. It’s tricky trying to keep the earliest, latest, and average adopters all happy with one product line that isn’t overly complicated or expensive. 😀

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos