Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidPotomac
Channel Surfer

New Roku Won't Connect on Same Network that another works fine

Just got a new Roku (bought used) & trying to connect it to different TV in the same room.  It connects to the WiFi network, but then gives a message 'Unable to connect to Roku'.  Same room, same wireless network. Provider is Xfinity.

Ay ideas?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Won't Connect on Same Network that another works fine

@DavidPotomac-

Roku menu path Settings/System/About will show you your Roku model and model number. It's a good idea to report these when asking questions because different models have different features and capabilities. This is especially important for problems with wifi connections.  If we know the model you can get better targeted suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DavidPotomac
Channel Surfer

Thanks.  I can't get out of the Setup page into Settings...it wants to establish connection first...but this is a XD, specifically, Model 2050X.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

That’s one of the very first generation of Roku devices from 2010.  It hasn’t been supported in some time and the last OS for it was 3.1. (The current OS is 12.)   It might be looking for a server that no longer exists.

Banned but back. Because why not?
DavidPotomac
Channel Surfer

Thanks. I knew it was an old system, got it because I wanted the RCA outputs & those seem to have been dropped in later versions.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Yes, the last Roku to have composite video came out in 2017.

I thought I was a hold-out by not upgrading to HD and HDMI until 2008.  Once I did, I wondered why I waited so long.  However, there are gadgets on amazon, ebay etc. that can do conversions such as HDMI to composite video.  I think that would probably be better than trying to find a Roku old enough to have composite video, yet new enough to be supported for years to come. 

0 Kudos
DavidPotomac
Channel Surfer

Found this HDMI to RF Coax converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Modulator-Converter-Demodulator-Digital-Adapter/dp/B09CN9YMTK/ref=sr_1_3?keyw...

...would solve the problem if it works.  Does anyone have any experience with this or other HDMI-RF converter?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Hah!  I just noticed that one of the pictures for the RF device shows a Roku home screen on a TV with knobs and rabbit ears!  Cute!  And one of the channels on the home screen is 4K spotlight! 😀

Is RF what you want?  Because that’s generally considered “even worse” than composite.  I was thinking more like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Composite-Adapter-Supports-Blu-Ray/dp/B0814Z34XG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P...

However, I have no experience with that particular device – just something I found.

0 Kudos
DavidPotomac
Channel Surfer

Thanks again. Yes, need RF if we are going to keep using this very old TV, because that's the only thing it takes. (I have an adapter for RCA to RF that seems to work just fine)  The old TV has advantage that it has a built-in VHS player, and there are still a fair number of VHS tapes that never made it to DVD.  Also fits the space it's in.

I guess we'll need to try HDMI to RF and either live w/mediocre display or get different TV.

0 Kudos