Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mspljackson
Reel Rookie

My Roku tv keeps disconnecting from my wifi

For the past 2 weeks, my TCL roku has been disconnecting itself from my wifi randomly. I've been in the middle of watching shows and it all of a sudden says " not connected ", but my wifi is still connected to all of the other tvs in the house. I have had to unplug the TV for a while, and then replug it to get connection back to this TV. 

This has happened everyday , and has become nerve wrecking. Any suggestions on how to make this stop happening ? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

Re: My Roku tv keeps disconnecting from my wifi

I had 2 Rokus. One (older one still works). The newly purchased one had same problem.  I exchanged it for the same model the same day.  Had the same problem.  After reading all the form letter replies to this problem, and getting the same bs answers from Roku support, I FINALLY spoke to someone in support that admitted it was a software issue.  Said it had “priority status” to be fixed.  Hmmmm…. The problem was first reported on this forum over a year ago !  I’m not mad about the software having a glitch but rather how Roku has not addressed it and knew about it for over a year ! 
So I solved the problem myself.  I returned the second bad Roku and purchased a competitors streamer. Works great and about $40 cheaper. 
PROBLEM SOLVED !  

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @mspljackson 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing the problem you've encountered with your TCL Roku TV that keeps disconnecting from your network, and we're here to assist. We'd recommend performing the troubleshooting steps below in order to resolve the issue.

Restart your Roku TV

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Restart your network connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

After the network reset is done, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again. It is also recommended to restart your network modem/router for better results.

If none of the steps above resolve the issue, kindly connect to an alternative network, such as an active mobile hotspot, to see if you're able to maintain a connection. If it does, then the issue is likely rooted in your modem/router, and you'll need to contact your Internet Service Provider to address the issue.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have tried all the things listed and EVERY time I turn on my Roku TV, I have to reconnect to the internet. I also have issues in the middle of watching something. I bought a Roku TV because we had issues with our other Roku device. This is really pissing me off. 

0 Kudos
NilDevNull
Binge Watcher

This has been happening to me as well. If I watch anything for longer than a few hours, the Roku TV losses connectivity.

When I go to rescan the network to set-it back up, the scan for Wi-Fi connections doesn't work, and I have to reset the network adapter in the settings, wait for the Roku TV to restart, then I can scan for Wi-Fi connection spots, select mine, then I have to reenter the password (annoying as **bleep** with the stupid on screen keyboard - why since the TV has Bluetooth, they just don't allow a bluetooth keyboard to be used I have no clue.)  

In any case, my Wi-Fi signal is high, the network is working fine, the router is working fine (no other device connected loosed internet connectivity), and the signal is fine. This is a problem with the Roku software.

The problem has become so annoying that I'm considering getting a new TV and dumping Roku completely. If they have a known issue that affects every device and they haven't fixed it in over a year, it is just a sign that the company sucks.

I don't need the aggravation and won't recommend Roku to anyone.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @NilDevNull 

Thanks for the post.

We appreciate your for sharing this information with us, and we understand the issue you are experiencing with your Roku TV not connecting to the internet connection. We'd like to help in resolving this matter.

To assist us in investigating this matter further, please provide the following information (if possible):

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Who do you get your internet service from (e.g., Xfinity, Spectrum)?
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: What brand and specific model of router and modem do you have?
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Model (e.g., Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K)
    • Serial Number
    • Device ID
    • Software OS/Version (You can find this information under Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID: When the connection drops, press the Home button 5 times followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. This will generate a Tracker ID. Please provide this number if possible.
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Once we gather the information requested above, our team will review this case and investigate it further.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mspljackson
Reel Rookie

That is exactly how ove been feeling. This is vryond annoying & completely unnecessary.  I really hope that they are seeing these comments & take some sort of action to fix this issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @mspljackson 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you are having the same issue as reported by other users in this thread. Please be assured that we acknowledge your concern, and we are here to help in resolving the problem at hand. 

For this matter to be addressed, we'd like to collect the following details requested above this thread in my post so our team can work on the issue further.

Once the details are available, an investigation will be conducted, and we will provide an update once our team has made progress on a resolution.

We hope for your response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.