Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sdouglas4123
Reel Rookie

My Roku device will disconnect from the home WiFi

Greetings to all-

i am writing to see if there is a fix for a problem that I am having. My Roku device will disconnect from the home WiFi. The network is not recognized unless the router is rebooted. The rest of the home’s WiFi is fine. Anyone have this issue. 

Side note. I have reset the network on the Roku. I have reset the Roku device. I have been forced to reset my router and cause an interruption on the rest of the home. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Roku device will disconnect from the home WiFi

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @Sdouglas4123.

We appreciate you for reaching out regarding your network issues. We'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution.

May we first know who is your Internet Service Provider? In addition, try to check for your network connection's signal strength by going to Settings > Network > Check Connection. For further details about the result, kindly check our Support article: How to check the connection to your home network and the internet

Furthermore, how many devices are connected to your network connection? Are you using a VPN? In this case, we highly recommend reaching out to your internet service provider and letting them reboot your connection's signal from their end.

The best course of action will be suggested once we gather more information from you. We'll be anticipating your response!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sdouglas4123
Reel Rookie

There are 19 devices of different types. Roku, iOS, android. There is no VPN on the network. I have done the check network. I have reset the network on the Roku and on the router. There was no issues previously. It only happens around the time to go to bed around 9:00 pm est. +/- 15 minutes. We have recently updated our router and we are still having the issue. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Sdouglas4123-

[Quick aside: it is always a good idea to include your Roku model and model number (can be found via Settings > System > About) when making inquiries here.  Different models have different features and capabilities, and knowing the model involved can get you targeted answers much more quickly.]

When you say the network is not recognized, are you saying when you do a scan via Settings > Connection > Set up connection > Wireless it does not find and list your home network?

If so there are several modem setup issues that can cause this.  And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

If you have one of these situations, see "Reconfiguring Router", below.

A) Some recent router updates have turned off dual band routers' use of the 2.4 GHz band. Some Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ nojn-4K models (model numbers below 3940) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4630), are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have 2.4 GHz only Roku model and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) In the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus support channels 1-11, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels 12-14 that are used in other regions make sure your router is set to use a channel in the 1-11 range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band WiFi radios can connect to the 5 GHz WiFi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. Specifically they do NOT support the "DFS" channels 50-64 and 100-144. Many home use modems do not include the DFS channels but some do, so be sure your modem is set to NOT use DFS channels. If your router supports DFS channels and you can't turn them off, set a single channel in either of the supported ranges and make sure you aren't using an auto setting that could select DFS channels.

Reconfiguring Router
Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar  for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku modelyou'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.