Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of bandwidth with multiple Roku devices

I have 3 Roku devices and all three only get about 43mbps out of 100 from my ISP. If I do a speed check from my phone or PC using the same wifi I get 100mbps up and down. Why do the Rokus lag behind?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Loss of bandwidth with multiple Roku devices

Hi, @staplegun71 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

A strong internet connection is indeed essential for streaming. Kindly be advised that the minimum network connection requirement for HD Streaming or with 720P to 1080P is only 5mbps or more. If you stream on 4K Ultra HD or 4K UHD, you would need 30Mbps or more. Thus, making your network connection speed accordant to the requiremenets.

Additionally, if you want to further improve your network connection speed, you can follow the recommendations below:

• Reduce network usage by other devices: Devices currently accessing the network, such as other streaming players, computers, game consoles, and mobile devices may effect the quality of your network connection. Temporarily stop using any such device and check if that makes a difference. You may need to reduce usage of other network devices when using your Roku device.

• Move your Roku device or Router:
    • Reduce distance: Moving your Roku device and router closer to each other will strengthen the wireless signal. If this is not an ideal long-term solution, at least try moving the devices closer temporarily to verify the signal strength is the problem. Sometimes moving each device even a short distance may make a difference.
    • Eliminate obstructions: Install both devices where there are fewer objects and walls between them. If your router or Roku device is inside a cabinet, we recommend taking it out. Reducing the number of obstructions will improve the signal strength.
    • Adjust router antennas: If your router has one or more external antennas, try re-orienting the antennas and check the signal strength.
    • Try an elevated location: Try moving your router and/or Roku device to a higher location in the room.
    • Move away from the TV: If your TV is located between the Roku device and the router, try moving the Roku device to a location where the TV is not blocking the wireless signal. If you are using a Roku® Streaming Stick®, try moving it away from your TV by installing the free HDMI extender cable.

For more information, you can visit this support article on How to improve the Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection to your Roku streaming device

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.