Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vidriduch
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

1. 3810EU Roku Streaming STick+; SW 9.4.0 build 4200-50

2. 3900EU - RokuExpress; SW 9.4.0 build 4200-51

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@vidriduch

Thanks for the information.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial numbers of your Rokus from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
vidriduch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Comment on link suggested: I have tried all the options, none of them worked. I did not type in the wrong password, because the one I've used was already there (but I have to try typing in as well ... 20 times with no luck).

I have tried changing my Wi-Fi's channels several times.

One of the Rokus is less than 1 m away from the router.

This happened several times last year and now again, very random. I can be rebooting the TV, router, Roku for an hour, no difference at all, then the next day (or after a few hours) it works again.

It's really hard to pinpoint the problem as this is very random.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Danny,

I for one love the fact you are trying to resolve the issue with suggestions, but for me, nothing suggested has worked. Changing channels does nothing. Turning it on and off does nothing. Restarting the router/Roku does nothing, and I have it 3.5 feet from the router. I don't think I could really get it any closer. All of this, and the experience of so many others reflects an issue with ROKU tech. That what we are doing on our end are all silly measures that don't do anything.

I liken it to having a problem with your car engine and you have someone asking if the windows are rolled up, if you have a steering wheel cover and if the wipers are new. Through experience, none of this actually fixes the engine, but the customer is relentlessly tied up in running around and around wasting countless hours in non-effective "testing." If in fact none of the solutions you have been told to give us works, continuing to do them is the definition of insanity. I personally hooked up a Fire TV stick and all of the problems immediately disappeared. No more Internet issues, no more orange circling, etc. I don't mind that ROKU doesn't work, it's just the continual frustration of trying things that have never worked gets to a point where you don't even want to entertain the same suggestion again from the next tech person who responds.

If ROKU is having problems with their devices, just let us know. I know you don't want to lose customers, but it is better to be honest and lose them than to frustrate them continuously and when they leave, they swear they will never use another ROKU the rest of their life. At least by being honest with customers, you may lose them in the moment, but when the ROKU technical team can figure out how to fix it, it can be a call to everyone to come back. If you frustrate the heck out of the customer by sending them into an endless loop until they can't take it anymore, they will leave anyway and NEVER come back.

Whoever is responsible for ROKU programming needs to take this seriously. There is an issue that ROKU has that Chromecast and even old Fire TV does not have. It is easy for tech people to say, "It's the user, don't bother me," and ignore the issue, but that is a rogue tech department and will bring a tech company down. At some point, they WILL find the issue, it may as well be ow. Maybe getting some people that understand the ins and outs of the Internet better will resolve this issue so anyone plugging in a ROKU doesn't need to go through all of this. No one should. Technology should be programmed and tested where all the customer has to do is worry about what to watch... not going in endless loops trying to make up for second- or third-rate programming.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@vidriduch @CantBeForReal

Thanks for the posts.

As stated in my previous post, if the troubleshooting steps provided did not resolve your issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial numbers of your Rokus from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you Danny,

I'll let vidriduch PM you if they want to. Since I've found the instant fix of transferring my Roku to Fire TV, I've begun the process of switching my home devices and will continue with the fix that I have found works 100% of the time. I don't think the support team will be necessary in my case. But I thought it was important you understand why. My communication is merely a courtesy to alert you of the issue, as I was a HUGE Roku supporter in the past. More like a survey that requires no payment.

I wish you the best of luck. You can of course feel free to share this with support, or better yet, the tech team, if you would like.

0 Kudos
counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Danny,

There are 24 pages with the same complaint extending over almost 2 months and the issue hasn't been resolved.  Roku keeps asking the same questions as though it's the user's fault, not Roku.  Really?  Streaming is supposed to be a pleasant experience, not a tech nightmare.  I got my Chromecast and streaming is great.  Wish you would refund the cost of my useless Roku Express.  It's just like new.

Jump to solution

@CantBeForReal wrote:

Danny,

I for one love the fact you are trying to resolve the issue with suggestions, but for me, nothing suggested has worked. Changing channels does nothing. Turning it on and off does nothing. Restarting the router/Roku does nothing, and I have it 3.5 feet from the router. I don't think I could really get it any closer. All of this, and the experience of so many others reflects an issue with ROKU tech. That what we are doing on our end are all silly measures that don't do anything.

I liken it to having a problem with your car engine and you have someone asking if the windows are rolled up, if you have a steering wheel cover and if the wipers are new. Through experience, none of this actually fixes the engine, but the customer is relentlessly tied up in running around and around wasting countless hours in non-effective "testing." If in fact none of the solutions you have been told to give us works, continuing to do them is the definition of insanity. I personally hooked up a Fire TV stick and all of the problems immediately disappeared. No more Internet issues, no more orange circling, etc. I don't mind that ROKU doesn't work, it's just the continual frustration of trying things that have never worked gets to a point where you don't even want to entertain the same suggestion again from the next tech person who responds.

If ROKU is having problems with their devices, just let us know. I know you don't want to lose customers, but it is better to be honest and lose them than to frustrate them continuously and when they leave, they swear they will never use another ROKU the rest of their life. At least by being honest with customers, you may lose them in the moment, but when the ROKU technical team can figure out how to fix it, it can be a call to everyone to come back. If you frustrate the heck out of the customer by sending them into an endless loop until they can't take it anymore, they will leave anyway and NEVER come back.

Whoever is responsible for ROKU programming needs to take this seriously. There is an issue that ROKU has that Chromecast and even old Fire TV does not have. It is easy for tech people to say, "It's the user, don't bother me," and ignore the issue, but that is a rogue tech department and will bring a tech company down. At some point, they WILL find the issue, it may as well be ow. Maybe getting some people that understand the ins and outs of the Internet better will resolve this issue so anyone plugging in a ROKU doesn't need to go through all of this. No one should. Technology should be programmed and tested where all the customer has to do is worry about what to watch... not going in endless loops trying to make up for second- or third-rate programming.

I bought a Fire Stick Lite based on this comment, so thank you. I was an early adopter of Roku and was a big fan until I started experiencing these connection issues constantly with my Premiere which was just over a year old. It’s ten feet from my router and everything else works, but shows would pause, restart themselves, the sound would go out constantly and not come back unless I rewound or fast-forwarded. And on top of all the issues no one from Roku could tell me anything helpful. It was a complete runaround. I threw the Premiere in the trash this morning and getting rid of the headache was well worth the $25 to get a fire stick. It works like a dream - like Roku used to work.

0 Kudos
acerreca
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Additional tips ~ Streaming device troubleshooting
Home x 5 > Up x 1 > Rewind x 2 > Fast Forward x 2

Go to Settings
Select Systems
Select System Restart

You can also restart your Roku TV by going to Settings > System > Power > System Restart.

You also have the option of unplugging the Roku streaming stick from its power source and plugging it back. Once powered, start it and try streaming again.

Try resetting differently.

Hit the Home button on your remote, move up and choose Settings, then click System.
Confirm by selecting System Update and choose Check Now to look for new software. The System window is where you can also check the current software version and the time and date of the last update.
The device then installs the updated software and updates all your channels. Once the download and installation are complete, the Roku reboots and you should be able to establish a stable connection.

App updates

Search for background processes
things running in the background can interfere with what you are trying to watch

Close all apps

Go back into Settings, Preferences, go down to DATA MONITORING, turn that OFF,

Notifications settings/ Application settings- Do not disturb or turn notifications off,

Uninstall apps you don't use

Download a Wifi Speed analyzer app on the device

Clear app data/cache

Disable Auto-playing video

Change Picture modes using the star button

Angle or place the device for optimal connection

Forget the network connection and re-connect, you will need to re-enter the WiFi password

Consider moving the modem, contact ISP

ask your ISP if they have a whole-home Wi-Fi solution or a mesh-system

find detailed info about the connection - check the router's WiFi app

Use Ethernet if possible

Are you connected to the 5GHz or 2.4 GHz?

New issue or an ongoing issue?

Reset modem +/ equipment

Buy a Roku mounting system off of Amazon for a better angle or placement

https://www.wired.com/gallery/how-to-pick-the-right-roku/

If all else fails, try a Factory Reset

Also,

Also, be sure your issue is actually internet related and not

channel playback issues:

https://support.roku.com/article/208755548#:~:text=If%20playback%20issues%20continue%2C%20restart,Ro...

or audio out of sync:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Audio-Out-of-Sync-lagging/td-p/51084...

consider a newer better Roku:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-roku-devices

0 Kudos
LARamsKing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just bought a fire stick!  Problem solved.   Never again will I buy a Roku!

0 Kudos