Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

This isn’t work arounds. It’s called troubleshooting and basic WiFi Diagnostics

0 Kudos
counselor
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I don't have to troubleshoot with Chromecast.  I just enjoy the streaming.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And all 6 of my Roku’s work awesome. Point is?

0 Kudos
Tojarn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The issue is: Xfinity pushed out new protocols. I had to dig into the Xfinity router update logs to find the patch notes. One Wifi signal that bounces between 5.0GHz and 2.4GHz, depending on demand. The device I had only supported 2.4.  When the signal starts on 2.4 and switches to 5.0, the device drops. It took forever to figure this out. After hours on the phone, I made Xfinity set my router up to send out 2 separate signals. 1 for the 2.4 and 1 for the 5.0. I had to reset ALL my devices because the names and passwords changed. The NEXT problem was when the router firmware was updated a few weeks later, it reset everything to the original settings and started the whole thing over again.  I said "Eff It" and scrapped the old device and bought a new Roku LT...  Faster than ever and no issues...  OUt 50 bucks, but such is life.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Most ISP's such as Cox or Comcast give their customers a gateway. It is a router and modem all in one. You can also download the app to your phone and change all the settings. Gateways use to always broadcast the 2.4 and the 5.0 separately. But since the average person has no clue what that means they just connect to whatever one they want. Not understanding the difference between the 2. So Cox and Comcast let the gateway do the guess work for you. It automatically switches between  2.4 and 5.0 depending upon the devices needs. But a lot of devices only work on 2.4. My Gosund smart plugs only work on 2.4. So setting it up using my phone did not work since my iPhone 13 Pro was using 5.0. So I went into the Cox app and setup the 2.4 and 5.0 to be entirely different with different passwords for each. I connected my phone to 2,4 and successfully programmed the Gosund smart plugs. Afterwards I switched my phone back to 5.0. But this is another case where it is not a Roku's issue. Roku also have a "check connection" feature under the network settings. This will check your signal strength and download speeds. Switch between the 2.4 and 5.0 and see which ones gives you a stronger signal and a faster speed. Certain devices such as the Stick+ have a built in WiFi booster dongle. 

0 Kudos
AlyBaba

Jump to solution

Must be that time of the year!!! My Roku device was fine and then BOOM tonight it keeps falling off of the WiFi connection. I’ve tried all the suggestions on this forum and recommended Roku sites. Total BS. And low and behold I had an update of some sort today 03/11/22 @ 1:41pm POS Roku. I’m getting a smart TV and saying to heck with Roku once and for all.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @AlyBaba

Thanks for the post.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us now how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Gs22

Jump to solution

I tried what was described. It worked until I turned it off for the night. Every day this week,  I've had to reset my router when only my Roku is having issues. How wise can you fix a Roku not connecting to the internet? 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gs22,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
5. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?
6: Can you please specify who is your ISP?
See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku Support 
Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No the internet just disconnects from the device. No error codes, just says you don't have an internet connection, please go to set up. Which u can't do, until the internet comes back. Normally it's around 5 minutes before it returns. I believe it's the software on the device as others have mentioned, has been going on for at least 3 years for me. With my current new all in one modem and my old one. Cox has no answers either.