Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I've begun the switchover. I was a devout Roku user, swore by them. Wouldn't even consider anything else. But this experience, with absolutely no feedback from Roku, no explanation, nothing about what they will do to fix it has led me away. I'm gradually switching my entire television home system (5 tvs), to Fire TV. I've jumped to one for testing and so far, it has been incredible. Like I took a 10-year leap in technology. No dropping internet, no more spinning circles, just streaming technology as it should be. And Fire hooks in with your home automation so much better if you use Alexa. I'm just talking to my TV now. Truly the best decision I ever made. Spend the $50-$70 and get rid of the silliness. You'll be glad you did. I am not a rep for, nor do I receive anything from Fire for this. I have found what I needed to forget about technology and just enjoy my television entertainment.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@rm9843

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to look further into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fatswaller
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 2.  It has an Ethernet port and It used to work very well with a wired connection.  Suddenly, the connection to the Internet is unstable.  It won't stay connected for more than a few seconds.  I had changed nothing.  Stable one day, then unstable ever since.  I've tried different patch cables, different ports on the switch, ports on another switch, and this is now the 3rd router from the ISP.  None of the other 10 or so hardwired devices on the network have this problem.  There are no address conflicts.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@fatswaller

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the model of the Roku 2? There are many Roku 2 devices, some of them that are unsupported now.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fatswaller
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's a 4210X - Roku 2

However, I plugged the LAN cable back in last evening just to check, and lo and behold, it's working again after months of it not working.  I don't know what to make of that.  This is what I noticed before.  It mostly didn't work, and then there would be a period of a couple of days when it would work before becoming unstable.  The last time I checked prior to this was right after the new Fibe modem (Home Hub 3000) was  installed on the 16th of Feb.  It wouldn't remain connected then either, so I gave up on the LAN side.   I'll leave it cabled up and see how long it lasts.  You'll be the second to know when the problem returns.

0 Kudos
Ppagentine55
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a roku tv

0 Kudos
PoisonTN

Jump to solution

This is the dumbest **bleep** I have ever seen. I have 3 Roku Expresses and lost connectivity on all 3 yesterday. they night before, it was working fine. I tried all kinds of troubleshooting but nothing has worked. I reset my router, modem and Roku devices and nothing works. So this morning I went and bought a Roku Express+, just to see if a new one would work. I connected it and at the start up, it connected. GREAT. It downloaded an update...now it won't connect. Roku pushed out an update that killed all our devices. That's the only thing it can be. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, just something that didn't act the way it was supposed to, but it killed the network connections. Now I have 3 devices that are useless...can't get any updates that go out because I can't connect it. At lease I can get my money back from the one I bought today. I am don'e with Roku. After seeing all the useless "Troubleshooting" on this topic, this system and their support SUCK.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't know that I would agree that it is not on purpose. You did after all, go out and buy another Roku. Some people don't bother bringing them back. The only way to get them to stop doing it is to stop using them. When enough of their customers start leaving in droves, they'll stop sabotaging the equipment when they want more money. If it is not sabotage, it is just blatant ignorance. And seriously, I'm not sure which is better. In the middle of switching everything over to Fire TV, and I've heard some are going to Chromecast. Take you pick of a company you can trust. Roku was a great innovator, but they've fallen off the deep end. Get your Amazon or Google device and steer clear of ignorant sabotage.

vidriduch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Connecting again, makes no difference.

Solution to this problem is absolutely flawed! No other device on the network has this problem, only two Roku sticks.

Restarting router/ WiFi AP every time this happened is absolutely insane idea.

Not even resseting to factory defaults helped, and you don't want to be doing this every time you want to something!

My solution is to dump it in a bin, or stick it on the eBay, if you are feeling adventurous and go for something else (fire stick, Google Chromecast, the new one is pretty good, even simple freeview box could have smart TV functionality).

Roku don't seem to care, so why should we.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@vidriduch

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model devices are you using?

With more specific information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos